mjcox

Default Underlining in a document

How do you underline a document, such as an application, so that when you
type over the underline it will not be erased. I am trying to make a long
underline and then add text to it but either it erases the underline or it
adds to the underline and messes the rest of the text up. Also, who do I
center the text that goes on that underline.

Opinicus

"mjcox" wrote

How do you underline a document, such as an application,
so that when you
type over the underline it will not be erased. I am
trying to make a long
underline and then add text to it but either it erases the
underline or it
adds to the underline and messes the rest of the text up.
Also, who do I
center the text that goes on that underline.

By a "long underline" I'm going to assume you mean a line
all the way across the page from one margin to the other.
The easiest way to do this is to turn the "Tables and
Borders" toolbar on. Write some text (center it if you like)
and enter Return to start a new line. Go back to the line
the text is on and click on the little down arrow next to
the Border icon. Pick the Bottom Border icon. [__] You now
have a line running across the page beneath the centered
text you wrote.

Is that what you wanted to do?

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

mjcox

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually what I meant was if I am wanting to
make a blank document where, for instance, I have Name: __________ and I
want them to type there name there without erasing the underline. I want the
underline to already be there and have them type over it. How do I do this
without affecting the rest of the document. In other words, when they type a
long name how do I keep the undlerline from growing. I know that I can hit
the underline button and hit tab and then type over it but if you type
something long the underline grows which in effect changes the rest of the
document by moving it over.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"mjcox" wrote

[...]

CyberTaz

The info from Opinicus is still valid... using a table is probably the
easiest way and modify the table borders as desired to get your "fill in the
blank" effect. Another (but somewhat more complex) option is to use Word's
Form features to create the effect, but tables would probably be involved
there, too.

LOL |:)

"mjcox" wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually what I meant was if I am wanting to
make a blank document where, for instance, I have Name: __________ and I
want them to type there name there without erasing the underline. I want the
underline to already be there and have them type over it. How do I do this
without affecting the rest of the document. In other words, when they type a
long name how do I keep the undlerline from growing. I know that I can hit
the underline button and hit tab and then type over it but if you type
something long the underline grows which in effect changes the rest of the
document by moving it over.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"mjcox" wrote

[...]

fiona nelson

Hi,

I would suggest using a table with two columns, grid lines hidden and only
using the bottom of column border. That way people will be able to tab
around the form, and the columns of questions and answers will all line up.
Word will also automatically re-adjust the size of the cell as necessary.
You can also make the column widths different depending on what you need.

You may encounter a problem at the end of the table, as if you tab in the
last cell Word generates another row based on the last row in the table. To
get out of the table witht he keyboard you need to use the right arrow twice,
so you may have to include that in the document instructions.

There is really good information on setting up tables effectively on the
word mvp site http://word.mvps.org/.

HTH

Fiona Nelson

"mjcox" wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually what I meant was if I am wanting to
make a blank document where, for instance, I have Name: __________ and I
want them to type there name there without erasing the underline. I want the
underline to already be there and have them type over it. How do I do this
without affecting the rest of the document. In other words, when they type a
long name how do I keep the undlerline from growing. I know that I can hit
the underline button and hit tab and then type over it but if you type
something long the underline grows which in effect changes the rest of the
document by moving it over.

"mjcox" wrote