hanstrans

Default turn off research

Is there a way in Word 2003 to turn of Research and/or to reassign Alt-Click
to selecting a table column?
Klaus Linke

hanstrans wrote:
Is there a way in Word 2003 to turn of Research and/or to reassign
Alt-Click to selecting a table column?

Unfortunately, nobody has figured out how to do that.

Usually, you should be able to intercept the command that looks up a word in the
research pane by creating a macro with the same name, and have it select a table
column if the selection is in a table.

Alt+Click seems to do the same as the command "ResearchLookup".
But probably, Alt+click calls some other, undocumented command which hasn't got
a name. At least, it can't be intercepted using a macro "Sub ResearchLookup".

:-(
Klaus

Klaus Linke

Errrm, I was a bit befuddled he
You never have been able to intercept Alt+Click, or other mouse-related
shortcuts, in any version of Word.

"ResearchLookup" has another shortcut besides Alt+Click: Ctrl+Shift+O.
Looks as if the designers wanted another, simpler shortcut for that new feature,
and probably we're now stuck with it.

The best we can do is assign a new keyboard shortcut to "ColumnSelect".

8-/
Klaus

Klaus Linke

Shift+Right-click

Hi Suzanne,

Wow!! Bet you didn't discover that one in the help files?
I didn't find most of the shortcuts involving the mouse there.

Some others:
Ctrl+drag (object/text/table...): Create a duplicate,
Ctrl+Shift+Drag (object/text/table...): Create a link,
Ctrl+Drag or Ctrl+Shift+Drag selection to the Windows desktop or into an
Explorer folder: Create a scrap file,
Ctrl+Right-click: Move the selection to a new location,
Ctrl+Double-click (picture): Resize to original size,
Alt+Drag: Column select mode.

Did I miss any shortcuts in the document window? (There are quite a few others
in the UI, like double-clicking on a toolbar for "Tools Customize", or
Alt+Drag tabs ...)

Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Luckily, for selecting columns you do have a built-in alternative:
Shift+Right-click. As a substitute for Alt+Double-click to select the entire
table, you can, if you have a numeric keypad, press Alt + Num 5 (with
NumLock *off*).

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
Errrm, I was a bit befuddled he
You never have been able to intercept Alt+Click, or other mouse-related
shortcuts, in any version of Word.

"ResearchLookup" has another shortcut besides Alt+Click: Ctrl+Shift+O.
Looks as if the designers wanted another, simpler shortcut for that new

feature,
and probably we're now stuck with it.

The best we can do is assign a new keyboard shortcut to "ColumnSelect".

8-/
Klaus

A user submitted this (Shift+Right+click) to word.mvps.org, and Jonathan
passed it on to me. Evidently John McGhie discovered the other one, which
unfortunately is no good to me because I don't have access to the numeric
keypad.

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.