BobMed

Default Arial Unicode problem

I was sent a document containing only one table with four rows and
three columns. The font for all text was Arial Unicode. the table
looked fine on the screen, but on printing, the gridlines were missing
and each letter was rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees with letters
overlapping. The page was set up to be landscape, but no matter how I
printed it, the result was the same.

When I changed the font to Arial, it printed correctly.

I know Arial Unicode is not recommended for English-only text, but why
would this happen? How did the original author get this formatting
(she didn't select it deliberately; I think it came from cut and paste
or from document conversion)? How can I prevent this in the future
(prevent the text from being formatted in a Unicode font)?

Thanks,
Bob

Just to clarify: all text in Word is in a Unicode font (except for some
symbols from symbol fonts). What you are referring to, I gather, is Arial
Unicode MS, which is a "large" Unicode font that contains many more
characters than ordinary Arial, TNR, Courier New, etc.

If you were viewing the table in Normal view and the text direction had been
changed, then what you would see in Print Layout view or Print Preview (and
what would print) would be quite different. As for gridlines, they don't
ever print; you must apply borders if you want cell boundaries indicated by
lines.

From your description, though, it does sound as if more is going on than
this.

"BobMed" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was sent a document containing only one table with four rows and
three columns. The font for all text was Arial Unicode. the table
looked fine on the screen, but on printing, the gridlines were missing
and each letter was rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees with letters
overlapping. The page was set up to be landscape, but no matter how I
printed it, the result was the same.

When I changed the font to Arial, it printed correctly.

I know Arial Unicode is not recommended for English-only text, but why
would this happen? How did the original author get this formatting
(she didn't select it deliberately; I think it came from cut and paste
or from document conversion)? How can I prevent this in the future
(prevent the text from being formatted in a Unicode font)?

Thanks,
Bob

Problem with Textboxes Gary McGill Page Layout 10 March 31st 05 03:23 PM
Attaching Expansion Pack to Word Documents - Puzzling Problem Jose Microsoft Word Help 1 March 3rd 05 10:14 AM
UNICODE SORTING Rebecca New Users 1 December 27th 04 05:07 PM
Word User Network Problem Alpine Tom Microsoft Word Help 1 December 17th 04 04:51 PM
Spacing of Unicode fonts Thomas Payne Formatting Long Documents 3 December 15th 04 06:36 AM