Frank Boyne

Default Disable "Track Changes" for Headers & Footers?

Something I've always wanted to be able to do (but never managed to figure
out) is to turn off "Track Changes" for specific areas of a Word document,
particularly the Header and Footer.

With lots of automatically updated fields in the header and footer (Page #
of #, file name, date last saved etc) the balloons for all the changes
resulting from the header and footer being automatically updated can swamp
the "real" changes I'm trying to track.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RnJhbmsgQm95bmU=?=,

There is no way to tell Word to track changes in specific places in a
document, only. But what you could do for this particular problem is to
select the content of the header/footer, then LOCK the fields from updating
(Ctrl+F11). You'll want to unlock the fields again, of course, before
printing: select the text, then Ctrl+Shift+F11

Something I've always wanted to be able to do (but never managed to figure
out) is to turn off "Track Changes" for specific areas of a Word document,
particularly the Header and Footer.

With lots of automatically updated fields in the header and footer (Page #
of #, file name, date last saved etc) the balloons for all the changes
resulting from the header and footer being automatically updated can swamp
the "real" changes I'm trying to track.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Frank Boyne

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:
But what you could do for this particular problem is to
select the content of the header/footer, then LOCK the fields from updating
(Ctrl+F11). You'll want to unlock the fields again, of course, before
printing: select the text, then Ctrl+Shift+F11

Thanks for the suggestion. Many of the header and footer fields in our
template are maintained via a set of macros, so your suggestion should be
easy to automate for those fields.

We'd still get change balloons for page # of # type fields when we printed
unless we accepted those field update changes. Maybe we can come up with a
macro to do that too.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RnJhbmsgQm95bmU=?=,

We'd still get change balloons for page # of # type fields when we printed
unless we accepted those field update changes. Maybe we can come up with a
macro to do that too.

How about turning off the change tracking (but keep the "with markup" display)
just before printing? If you lock these fields while editing, then only allow
them to update at printing, that should solve the problem...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Frank Boyne

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:
How about turning off the change tracking (but keep the "with markup" display)
just before printing? If you lock these fields while editing, then only allow
them to update at printing, that should solve the problem...

That sounds great. Thanks very much (again).