Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dawk Dawk is offline

Default Mail Merge of data file

I'm doing a mail merge for the first time in Word (Used WordPerfect for years
& it was easier). I think I can do the deed BUT I have a large list of names
& addresses that I apparently need to make into a usable data file first but
I can't seem to find how to do that. I really don't want to retype more than
100 names. Any ideas? Or can someone point where I should look for this?
Thanks

Dawk
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Dawk,

What file format are your data in (eg Word, Excel) and how are the data laid out?

--
Cheers
macropod

"Dawk" wrote in message ...
I'm doing a mail merge for the first time in Word (Used WordPerfect for years
& it was easier). I think I can do the deed BUT I have a large list of names
& addresses that I apparently need to make into a usable data file first but
I can't seem to find how to do that. I really don't want to retype more than
100 names. Any ideas? Or can someone point where I should look for this?
Thanks

Dawk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Is the data file a "Wordperfect data file," and do you still have
WordPerfect (which version)? If so, your best bet is probably to create
one last merge document in Wordperfect that outputs a new document with
one row for each record - either
a. one row in a table, with one column for each field or
b. one row with a tab character between each field.

Then save the resulting document in a format that Word can open - in the
case of a document with a table, you will probably need to save as .rtf
format. Otherwise, saving in a "plain text" format may work.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Dawk wrote:
I'm doing a mail merge for the first time in Word (Used WordPerfect for years
& it was easier). I think I can do the deed BUT I have a large list of names
& addresses that I apparently need to make into a usable data file first but
I can't seem to find how to do that. I really don't want to retype more than
100 names. Any ideas? Or can someone point where I should look for this?
Thanks

Dawk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dawk Dawk is offline

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The "name & address" file is in
Word 7. It's simply typed with name, address, postal code, etc with a hard
return before we start again.

Dawk

"Dawk" wrote in message ...
I'm doing a mail merge for the first time in Word (Used WordPerfect for years
& it was easier). I think I can do the deed BUT I have a large list of names
& addresses that I apparently need to make into a usable data file first but
I can't seem to find how to do that. I really don't want to retype more than
100 names. Any ideas? Or can someone point where I should look for this?
Thanks

Dawk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I asume you mean Word 2007? Word 7 is something entirely different.
See http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm and jump in
where the illustrations match what you have. Then see
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm (it's not only about
labels!).