Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Marilyn

Default How to add fields to mail merge. Only get 5.

I am trying to build a mailing list in Excel to mail merge for labels in
Word. I went through the process and when I try to insert the merge fields,
it only allows me 5 fields to insert and I need 7. I get last name, first
name, address1, address2, and city. What am I doing wrong, and/or, how do I
fix it? AAAHHH!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWFyaWx5bg==?=,

I am trying to build a mailing list in Excel to mail merge for labels in
Word. I went through the process and when I try to insert the merge fields,
it only allows me 5 fields to insert and I need 7. I get last name, first
name, address1, address2, and city. What am I doing wrong, and/or, how do I
fix it?

Tell us which version of Word you're using, please? And please describe the
steps you used to connect the main merge document to the data source.

Word will allow you to use an unlimited number of merge fields.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Marilyn

I am using Word 2000 and I used the instructions from the little paper clip
office assistant.
In Word:
Tools -- Mail Merge
Create (I tried labels and envelope)
Get Data, then Open Data Source
Open Data Source -- opened the Excel worksheet
Selected range (cells B3-H6 -- kept it short just to practice)
Set up Main Document -- create labels
When I get to Insert Merge Field, the pull down only gives me 5 fields to
insert from.
I put them in, hit Merge on two different screens and the sample labels come
up with first name, last name, address1, address2 and city.
I hope this is enough information to help you help me.
Thanks.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TWFyaWx5bg==?=,

I am trying to build a mailing list in Excel to mail merge for labels in
Word. I went through the process and when I try to insert the merge fields,
it only allows me 5 fields to insert and I need 7. I get last name, first
name, address1, address2, and city. What am I doing wrong, and/or, how do I
fix it?

Tell us which version of Word you're using, please? And please describe the
steps you used to connect the main merge document to the data source.

Word will allow you to use an unlimited number of merge fields.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Are the field names in row 3? Do all of the entries in cells B3 to H3
contain valid field names?

I would suggest that you start in Cell A1 and insert the field names in row
1.

See the article "Creating a Mail Merge Data Source" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Marilyn" wrote in message
I am using Word 2000 and I used the instructions from the little paper clip
office assistant.
In Word:
Tools -- Mail Merge
Create (I tried labels and envelope)
Get Data, then Open Data Source
Open Data Source -- opened the Excel worksheet
Selected range (cells B3-H6 -- kept it short just to practice)
Set up Main Document -- create labels
When I get to Insert Merge Field, the pull down only gives me 5 fields to
insert from.
I put them in, hit Merge on two different screens and the sample labels
come
up with first name, last name, address1, address2 and city.
I hope this is enough information to help you help me.
Thanks.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TWFyaWx5bg==?=,

I am trying to build a mailing list in Excel to mail merge for labels
in
Word. I went through the process and when I try to insert the merge
fields,
it only allows me 5 fields to insert and I need 7. I get last name,
first
name, address1, address2, and city. What am I doing wrong, and/or, how
do I
fix it?

Tell us which version of Word you're using, please? And please describe
the
steps you used to connect the main merge document to the data source.

Word will allow you to use an unlimited number of merge fields.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

reply