Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Get absolute path for hyperlink with relative path

In Word 2003 on Windows XP, when I mouse over a hyperlink, I see a
balloon with the absolute path. However, I can't copy select and copy
that absolute path. If I edit the hyperlink, I see only the relative
path. How can I access the absolute path as shown in the balloon?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The text shown in the ScreenTip will be found by clicking the ScreenTip
button in the Edit Hyperlink dialog.

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote in message
In Word 2003 on Windows XP, when I mouse over a hyperlink, I see a
balloon with the absolute path. However, I can't copy select and copy
that absolute path. If I edit the hyperlink, I see only the relative
path. How can I access the absolute path as shown in the balloon?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Actually, I did click on that out of curiosity. The resulting data
entry field is blank. Perhaps the balloon message defaults to an
absolute path, formed from the relative path appended to whatever base
path/directory hosts the host file.

"Paul" wrote:
In Word 2003 on Windows XP, when I *mouse over a hyperlink, I see a
balloon with the absolute path. *However, I can't copy select and copy
that absolute path. *If I edit the hyperlink, I see only the relative
path. *How can I access the absolute path as shown in the balloon?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you don't have text specified for the ScreenTip, then it defaults to what
you have as the underlying hyperlink (as opposed to the display text).

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote:
In Word 2003 on Windows XP, when I mouse over a hyperlink, I see a
balloon with the absolute path. However, I can't copy select and copy
that absolute path. If I edit the hyperlink, I see only the relative
path. How can I access the absolute path as shown in the balloon?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

On Oct 7, 11:53*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If you don't have text specified for the ScreenTip, then it defaults to what
you have as the underlying hyperlink (as opposed to the display text).

That's the thing. The underlying path is relative, but the balloon
message shows the absolute path, which I want to access so that I can
select and copy it.