Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Zeus Zeus is offline

Default merging cells

When trying to merge some cells in a table the 'Merge Cells' button is grayed
so I can't click on it. It will only let me merge a whole row of cells.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Are you selecting adjacent cells before attempting to merge them?

"Zeus" wrote in message
When trying to merge some cells in a table the 'Merge Cells' button is

grayed
so I can't click on it. It will only let me merge a whole row of cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Zeus Zeus is offline

Yes, I clicked on the left side of the cell which highlighted it and then
held [Ctrl] to select others.

"Zeus" wrote in message
When trying to merge some cells in a table the 'Merge Cells' button is

grayed
so I can't click on it. It will only let me merge a whole row of cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

As CyberTaz says, it should not be necessary to use Ctrl, which is used to
select nonadjacent cells (which couldn't be merged, anyway). If you can't
drag to select the cells (or use Click and Shift+Click to define the range)
then you won't be able to merge the cells.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you selecting adjacent cells before attempting to merge them?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Zeus" wrote in message
When trying to merge some cells in a table the 'Merge Cells' button is

grayed
so I can't click on it. It will only let me merge a whole row of

cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Don't use Control to select the additional cells - that actually selects
each cell individually rather than as a contiguous block, often preventing
the merge.

Either drag to select the block of cells or select the first then
Shift+Click the last.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you selecting adjacent cells before attempting to merge them?

so
all may benefit.

"Zeus" wrote in message
When trying to merge some cells in a table the 'Merge Cells' button is

grayed
so I can't click on it. It will only let me merge a whole row of cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Julesagain Julesagain is offline

There is no kind of way that I select that cells that will allow the option
of merging or unmerging some cells. They were merge-able when I first started
entering data. then once I entered or changed something in the cell, I could
no longer merge (or unmerge) some cells. Some have the "lock" button checked
under Protection tab, but unchecking seems to make no impact.

Merging Cells Michael Tables 1 August 5th 06 10:17 AM
Merging and re-splitting cells fthynne Tables 0 July 5th 06 04:03 PM
Merging of cells within a table dave15 Tables 1 July 3rd 06 11:35 AM
merging excel cells into word document Coos Woman Mailmerge 1 April 25th 06 07:37 PM
Merging Excel cells that contain numbers using Free 3 of 9 Barcode mreinders Mailmerge 4 December 22nd 05 11:51 AM