Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Robert Judge Robert Judge is offline

Default How do I automatically number the rows in a Word 2003 table?

I have created a Word 2003 table to which I continue to add rows. I would
like to add a first column which would show the number of the row. I
sometimes add a new row in the middle of the table instead of at the top or
the bottom of the table. When I do so, I would like Word 2003 (XP) to
automatically re-number the rows from 1 to X, with X begin the total number
of rows.

How can I accomplish this? I will appreciate advice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
challa prabhu challa prabhu is offline

Do the following:
1. On the Table menu, point to Insert, and then click Table.
2. Click OK.
To return the default settings in the Insret Table dialog box.
3. Click the first cell in the first column.
4. On the inser menu, click Field.
The Field dialog appears.
5. By default the Categories list displays all.
6. In the Fieldnames list, click AutoNumOut.
7. Click OK.
8. Select and copy this field in the cell.
9. Select the column, and click paste from the Edit menu.
When you insert any new rows betwen new rows, just select the column again
and click paste under the Edit menu or Press Ctrl + V.

Caution: If you enter new table(s) and follow the above mentioned procedure,
you cannot set the first table row number from one again. The first row of
the new table will be incremented from the previous last row of the table.

Challa Prabhu