Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] gbsaab@yahoo.com.au is offline

Default Tiny gaps in table borders because of merged cells - bug ?

I think I have found a bug (famous quote ?). Anyway, the problem is
tiny gaps that appear in bottom table borders when a cell in the row
is merged with a cell in the row above. Create a table with 3 columns
and 3 rows. Merge the left hand cells in rows 2 and 3. Turn on
bottom borders across all of row 3. To see the gaps, turn of table
gridlines. There are tiny gaps at the column boundaries. You might
need to refresh the display to remove some temporary display
artifacts.

I have found the same bug in Word 2003 (Windows XP) and in Word 2004
(Office Mac 2004). On the Mac the gap is a single pixel wide.

The only fix I have found is to insert another row underneath and add
a top border to it. Setting the row height to almost zero makes the
new row virtually invisible. But, I think there has to be a better
way.

I added a post to Woody's Lounge but the above fix was the best idea
people came up with. Here is a link to the post on the Lounge.

http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...ts&Main=631482

GarryB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Gbsaab,

I cannot reproduce the problem in either Word Xp or Word 2003 -
even at 500% zoom.

Critical test - do the gaps print?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I thought I couldn't reproduce it but then realized I had misinterpreted
Gbsaab's instructions and was merging cells horizontally rather than
vertically. I can reproduce it in Word 2003 but didn't test whether it
prints or not.

"Pat Garard" apgarard-bigpond:net:au wrote in message
G'Day Gbsaab,

I cannot reproduce the problem in either Word Xp or Word 2003 -
even at 500% zoom.

Critical test - do the gaps print?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Doesn't Word use the printer driver when it displays on-screen?

Maybe different printers?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I thought I couldn't reproduce it but then realized I had misinterpreted
Gbsaab's instructions and was merging cells horizontally rather than
vertically. I can reproduce it in Word 2003 but didn't test whether it
prints or not.

"Pat Garard" apgarard-bigpond:net:au wrote in message
G'Day Gbsaab,

I cannot reproduce the problem in either Word Xp or Word 2003 -
even at 500% zoom.

Critical test - do the gaps print?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] gbsaab@yahoo.com.au is offline

Pat, Suzanne,

The gaps do print. They also appear on the screen in Office 2004 for
Mac OS X. The screen display in Mac OS X is basically postscript.
Still, there might be a printer driver connection.

Garry