Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DavidF DavidF is offline

Default Inserting a row in a locked table.....

Here is my problem, I have a Word 2003 Template form that I created and is to
be used as an online form. It was created using table fields, it has 11
columns in a row with the first column being a sequential number (I would
prefer it to increase automatically and right now it does, but if the
resolution kills that, no big deal). Our voice onsultants will complete the
remaining fields. Look at this form as a work order, 1 row could be all that
is required for the work order, or 100 rows, it just depends on what the
customer needs, 1 phone or a 1000. We don't want blank rows to display, only
what is completed. We want it to page break when at the bottom of the
current age. If you don't lock the form down, pressing the tab key at the
end of the row creates a new row with the sequential number, and will break
to another page with no problem. But lock it down and it goes back to the
beginning, as it should. I want to circumvent that little option. How can I
get a new row with a seq. number while it is locked down? Any help from
anyone would really be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi David,

You could add an on-exit macro to the last formfield on the row, to pop up a prompt to insert another row. If you users answers in
the affirmative, your code could then insert the new row. You code would also need to:
.. unprotect the form (before inserting the new row)
.. populate the new row with formfields
.. make the last formfield point to your pop-up macro
.. remove the macro trigger from the last formfield on the previous row
.. reprotect the form, preserving the data entered so far

Alternatively, if the table doesn't need to be protected, you could put Section breaks either side of it (assuming you've got
formfields before & after) and leave the table Section unprotected.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"DavidF" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DavidF DavidF is offline

Thank you, I believe I understand what you are saying. I am not a programmer
but will give it a shot using keystrokes if that can be done. I may be back
later.

"DavidF" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DavidF DavidF is offline

Macropod,
Guess I need some more help. I don't see anyway of doing via keystrokes.
Really can't get by the first step, unprotecting the form. Can't record a
macro while the form is protected, and when you unprotect it to get the macro
to run, can't record the macro to unprotect it because it is already
unprotected. Does that make sense? :-) I don't know VBA so I am out of luck
when it comes to doing this programmatically. As far as the alternative
option you gave, I couldn't seem to get that either. I put in a continous
section break but that doesn't seem to work either. I need to protect the
form as a whole because the top of the form has the pertinent information of
the caller. The line(s) I am working on are the specifics of what the user
requires, cable pair, riser cable, set types, etc. Got any other
suggestions? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Davidf

"DavidF" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi David,

Basically, its:
With ActiveDocument
' Temporarily unprotect the document.
.Unprotect
' Do stuff
' Re-protect the document, preserving formfield contents.
.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
End With

If your form is password-protected, you'll need to add the password to the Unprotect and Protect lines - both are in Word's vba help
file.

Cheers

--
macropod