Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieKathe JulieKathe is offline

Default Form Security & Digital Signatures

I have a couple of different Word forms that are protected so that they can
only be filled out. Is there any way to keep this setting and also be able
to digital signatures? I haven't been able to get both...sure would be nice
not to have to print!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieKathe JulieKathe is offline

We are using PKI for our digital signatures. I can digitally sign a document
and I can protect a document, but I can't seem to do both at the same time.

JulieKathe wrote:
I have a couple of different Word forms that are protected so that
they can only be filled out. Is there any way to keep this setting
and also be able to digital signatures? I haven't been able to get
both...sure would be nice not to have to print!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have not used this facility, but my feeling is that you will have to
temporarily unlock the form in vba, apply the signature then relock it
again. the code to lock and unlock the form will be similar to that at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm

JulieKathe wrote:
I have a couple of different Word forms that are protected so that
they can only be filled out. Is there any way to keep this setting
and also be able to digital signatures? I haven't been able to get
both...sure would be nice not to have to print!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

First protect the document for forms and save it. Then go to Tools Options
Security, click the Digital Signatures button, and apply the PKI

certificate.

If you later open the document and enter anything in the form, and then
click Save, you'll see a message that the digital signature will be removed
if you continue. That's because the document content no longer matches the
hash used for the original signature. If you want the form to still be
signed, you'll have to sign it again after saving.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

JulieKathe wrote:
I have a couple of different Word forms that are protected so that
they can only be filled out. Is there any way to keep this setting
and also be able to digital signatures? I haven't been able to get
both...sure would be nice not to have to print!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieKathe JulieKathe is offline

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. We don't have that option. The form
needs to remain secure when we send it out. We wanted to take advantage of
digital signatures as a way to ensure who validated the form so we didn't
have to maintain hard copies.

JulieKathe wrote:
I have a couple of different Word forms that are protected so that
they can only be filled out. Is there any way to keep this setting
and also be able to digital signatures? I haven't been able to get
both...sure would be nice not to have to print!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieKathe JulieKathe is offline

Jay, Thanks! That's the problem. I kept trying to save the file after
signing it...now it works. I really appreciate your help. We are leveraging
technology whereever possible to cut down on our papertrail processes.

Now we're one step closer.

Julie

JulieKathe wrote:
I have a couple of different Word forms that are protected so that
they can only be filled out. Is there any way to keep this setting
and also be able to digital signatures? I haven't been able to get
both...sure would be nice not to have to print!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Matt Rasmussen Matt Rasmussen is offline

We are also trying to use digital signatures with Word 2007 documents that
are protected. Users can't just double click the signature line to sign the
form unless the file is unprotected. Jay came up with a solution in an older
version of Word but the menu path doesn't match what's in Word 2007. There
is nothing for "Security" in the Word Options dialog now. Any advice?

JulieKathe wrote:
I have a couple of different Word forms that are protected so that
they can only be filled out. Is there any way to keep this setting
and also be able to digital signatures? I haven't been able to get
both...sure would be nice not to have to print!

martincrow martincrow is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rasmussen View Post

JulieKathe wrote:
I have a couple of different Word forms that are protected so that
they can only be filled out. Is there any way to keep this setting
and also be able to digital signatures? I haven't been able to get
both...sure would be nice not to have to print!

I am using this technique to digitally sign the documents, and by the way, when we digitally sign a document then it becomes read only, and we don't have to worry about the security of the document, because no one can edit that document after signing.