Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Link Link is offline

Default Live Autotext

Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to insert live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to put in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be live. For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file as something
else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is supposed to?

And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In general if you want AutoText to update, you need to insert an AUTOTEXT
field rather than the text itself. If you redefine the AutoText entry (and
the only way to do that is to create a new one and give it the same name),
you'll probably still need to F9 to update the AUTOTEXT field.

In this specific case, where the AutoText entry is already a field
(FILENAME), it will update, but, again, you may need to press F9 to update
it manually. See “The FILENAME field does not automatically update when you
open a document in Word 2002 or Word 2003” at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832897

"Link" wrote in message
Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to insert live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to put in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be live. For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file as

something
else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is supposed to?

And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Link Link is offline

Hi Suzanne thanks for putting up with me here....

I have tried inserting the filename using Insert Autotext Autotext... and
choosing filename from the list. And I have tried it by using Insert
Autotext Header/Footer Filename.

But neither of these methods updates automatically. Furthermore it seems
that I have to actually select the text before hitting F9 to manually update
it. Is this the way it is supposed to work, or am I missing something
obvious again?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Link.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In general if you want AutoText to update, you need to insert an AUTOTEXT
field rather than the text itself. If you redefine the AutoText entry (and
the only way to do that is to create a new one and give it the same name),
you'll probably still need to F9 to update the AUTOTEXT field.

In this specific case, where the AutoText entry is already a field
(FILENAME), it will update, but, again, you may need to press F9 to update
it manually. See “The FILENAME field does not automatically update when
you
open a document in Word 2002 or Word 2003” at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832897

so
all may benefit.

"Link" wrote in message
Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to insert
live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to put in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be live.
For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file as

something
else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is supposed to?

And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If the "Update fields before printing" option is checked under
ToolsOptionsPrint, then the fields will be updated when you Preview or
Print the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Link" wrote in message
Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to insert
live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to put in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be live.
For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file as

something
else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is supposed to?

And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Also...

sometimes switching to Print Preview and back will force an update too.

Terry

"Link" wrote in message
Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to insert
live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to put in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be live.
For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file as

something
else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is supposed to?

And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Link:

In general, fields don't update unless some user or system event forces them
to update. They don't do it by themselves.

If you just need the file name, you'd probably find it easier to just insert
a document property field. It won't update any better, but it's simpler to
insert.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"Link" wrote:

[...]

it manually. See €śThe FILENAME field does not automatically update when
you
open a document in Word 2002 or Word 2003€ť at

"Link" wrote in message
Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to insert
live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to put in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be live.
For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file as

something
else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is supposed to?

And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Link Link is offline

Ahhhh!

That's quite clear now. I just assumed they would automatically update. Is it just me or is that somewhat of a shortcoming? I see that we can have the date and time update automatically, so why not the rest of 'em too?

Thanks to everyone who gave advice.

Cheers,
Link.

"Link" wrote in message
Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to insert
live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to put in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be live.
For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file as
something
else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is supposed to?

And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Link:

Your company musta sprung for the DeLuxe fields package. My date and time
fields don't update any more than any other fields. Boy, do I feel gypped!

There are lots of VBA subroutines posted that will update all the fields in
a document, so you could add a custom command or button or keyboard shortcut
(or all three) to update your fields on demand if you wanted to.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"Link" wrote in message
Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to insert
live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to put in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be live.
For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file as
something
else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is supposed to?

And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Link Link is offline

I have Word 2003. When I go to Insert? Date and Time... there is a checkbox
at the bottom that says 'Update Automatically'. That's deluxe??!;-)

VBA subroutines - already sounds like too much of a workaround. Thanks for
the suggestion, but I think I'll just grin and bear it. Word is one of about
30 programs I use and it only gets about 5% of my time, so I don't know if I
want to go to those extents. I just want to learn how to use it better (out
of the box!).

I must admit that it's formatting absolutely baffles me sometimes - I delete
one thing and the whole paragraph, changes color, size, font, and context.
Well maybe not context, but it throws me for a loop! I refer to this
phenomenon as a visit from the 'Word Fairy'...

"Link" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Link" wrote in message
Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to
insert
live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to put
in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be
live.
For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file as
something
else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is supposed to?

And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Link wrote:
I have Word 2003. When I go to Insert? Date and Time... there is a
checkbox at the bottom that says 'Update Automatically'. That's
deluxe??!;-)

This inserts the date as a Date (or Time) field which reads the system date
of the computer whenever the document is opened. Without the checkbox the
date is inserted as text.

VBA subroutines - already sounds like too much of a workaround.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll just grin and bear it.
Word is one of about 30 programs I use and it only gets about 5% of
my time, so I don't know if I want to go to those extents. I just
want to learn how to use it better (out of the box!).

VBA is provided to fill those extra functions that users want - see the
example at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

"Link" wrote in message
Now that my clock is correct, I am trying to figure out how to
insert
live
autotext into a document. I've successfully figured out how to
put in
autotext (not a real challenge I know) but it doesn't seem to be
live.
For
example if I enter the filename as autotext, then save the file
as something else, the filename doesn't change. Surely it is
supposed to? And light shedding will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Link.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Link Link is offline

But for the styles. I'll remember that next time it happens. Hopefully
there'll be more fixing and less beating my head on the keyboard.

Thanks for the tips mate.

Cheers,
Link.