Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Primus Primus is offline

Default Mailmerge field result to insert word document

I have a my data source for mailing customers and once merged the «EntryID»
show ##### which is the customers unique .doc file name.

What I need to then get word to do is instead of showing this number is to
find the relating .doc file and insert the text from it.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could use

{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\Path\\{Mergefield EntryID}"}
OR
{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\Path\\{Mergefield EntryID}.doc"}

Depending on what is in the EntryID field

"Primus" wrote in message
I have a my data source for mailing customers and once merged the «EntryID»
show ##### which is the customers unique .doc file name.

What I need to then get word to do is instead of showing this number is to
find the relating .doc file and insert the text from it.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Primus Primus is offline

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried various versions of what you suggested
but just keep getting text after the entry number:

69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries{Mergefield EntryID}.doc" }

69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries{Mergefield EntryID}" }

69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\BookData\Editor\Entries{Mergefield EntryID}.doc" }

69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\BookData\Editor\Entries{Mergefield EntryID}" }

Should I omit anything from the code?

"Primus" wrote in message
I have a my data source for mailing customers and once merged the «EntryID»
show ##### which is the customers unique .doc file name.

What I need to then get word to do is instead of showing this number is to
find the relating .doc file and insert the text from it.

Is this possible?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Press Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the field codes (and maybe F9 to
update the fields)

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Primus" wrote in message
I have a my data source for mailing customers and once merged the
«EntryID»
show ##### which is the customers unique .doc file name.

What I need to then get word to do is instead of showing this number is
find the relating .doc file and insert the text from it.

Is this possible?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Primus,

It appears you've omitted the final path separator from your field code. Before executing the merge it should read:
{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\{Mergefield EntryID}.doc" }

--
Cheers
macropod

"Primus" wrote in message
I have a my data source for mailing customers and once merged the «EntryID»
show ##### which is the customers unique .doc file name.

What I need to then get word to do is instead of showing this number is to
find the relating .doc file and insert the text from it.

Is this possible?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Primus Primus is offline

Ok if I update the field I still keep getting "Error! Not a valid filename."

I have the word document 69703.doc in the following path
"Q:\BookData\Editor\Entries\69703.doc" if I paste this in to windows explorer
it opens up the word document so I know it's a valid filename/path.

BEFORE MERGE
EntryID{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\{Mergefield
EntryID}.doc" }

AFTER MERGE
69703{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\{Mergefield EntryID}.doc" }

I don't see that I'm missing anything, or should I be putting this code into
the EntryID date itself?

"Primus" wrote in message
I have a my data source for mailing customers and once merged the «EntryID»
show ##### which is the customers unique .doc file name.

What I need to then get word to do is instead of showing this number is to
find the relating .doc file and insert the text from it.

Is this possible?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Primus,

You've got the field code display toggled to 'on'. Press Alt-F9 to toggle it off again.

Alternatively (or as well), embed your INCLUDETEXT text field in the mailmerge main document inside a QUOTE field, thus:
{QUOTE{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\{Mergefield EntryID}.doc" }}
That will cause Word to unlink the field and display its output regardless of the field code toggle state when the mailmerge is run.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Primus" wrote in message
I have a my data source for mailing customers and once merged the «EntryID»
show ##### which is the customers unique .doc file name.

What I need to then get word to do is instead of showing this number is to
find the relating .doc file and insert the text from it.

Is this possible?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Primus Primus is offline

Partly solved:

The following is now working for me as long at the { MERGEFIELD EntyrID}.doc
resided in the Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\ folder

{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\{ MERGEFIELD EntryID
}.doc" \* MERGEFORMAT }

However I need the INCLUDETEXT command to look at all the Subfolders
contained within the Entries folder and there are hundreds of these!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no way to do that with fields. You can only look in the defined
folder. It's a fixed path.

If your documents are stored in a variety of sub folders then you are going
to have to tell the field which folder to look in for the particular
document. How you would do this rather depends on how your filing system is
arranged and whether the folder can be determined from the data source. For
example you might be able to use the same or another field to get the path

{ INCLUDETEXT "Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\{MERGEFIELD Client}\\{
MERGEFIELD EntryID}.doc" }

It is either that or copy all the documents used by the merge to the same
folder location.

"Primus" wrote in message
Partly solved:

The following is now working for me as long at the { MERGEFIELD
EntyrID}.doc
resided in the Q:\\BookData\\Editor\\Entries\\ folder

\* MERGEFORMAT }

However I need the INCLUDETEXT command to look at all the Subfolders
contained within the Entries folder and there are hundreds of these!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Ideally, your data source would actually store the complete pathname of
each file, rather than the "filename" part. How to do that would depend
very much on your data source and your ability to program it - you might
for example be able to add a column to the data source and run a macro
to populate it with all the relevant file pathnames prior to merging.

An alternative that /may/ work given that your file names are very
simple is
a. to create a document - let's call it "c:\a\list.htm" - that lists
each file path, bookmarked with the filename in the format needed by the
merge.
b. to use another INCLUDETEXT to translate the filename into the
filepath, e.g. like this:

{ QUOTE { INCLUDETEXT "{ INCLUDETEXT "c:\\a\\list.htm" "{ MERGEFIELD
EntryID }doc" }" }

So let's assume that you have an EntryID of 12345, and the corresponding
file is at

c:\folder1\folder2\12345.doc

Before the merge you would run a macro that would create a file which
contained a list of pathnames, including
c:\\folder1\\folder2\\12345.doc

This pathname would be bookmarked with the name "12345doc"

Then you do the merge. For the record where EntryID is 12345,
"{ MERGEFIELD EntryID }doc" is 12345doc

"{ INCLUDETEXT "c:\\a\\list.htm" "12345doc" }" is
"c:\\folder1\\folder2\\12345.doc"

so we then

{ QUOTE { INCLUDETEXT "c:\\folder1\\folder2\\12345.doc" } }

which should do what you need.

A macro that can build such a list is as follows. However, it depends on
your filenames being simple and consistent - e.g., all the files have to
have the same extension, and must convert easily into valid bookmark names.

You'll find notes on how to install macros etc. on Graham's page at

Sub createFileList()

' creates and populates
' an HTML file that can be used to map
' file names to file pathnames for a
' Word MailMerge

' This is not a general-purpose routine!
' For it to work, the file names have to be
' simple enough that removing "." characters
' turns them into valid bookmark names.

' In the VB Editor, with this macro open,
' use Tools-References to locate and check
' "Microsoft Scripting Runtime"

' You could produce the output
' using the "File System Object" if you
' prefer that to the old VB OPEN/PRINT/CLOSE
' commands.

' Also needs error handling!

' for example, a file called
' c:\folder1\folder2\filename.doc
' will be listed as
' pa name="filenamedoc"c:\\folder1\\folder2\\filename. doc/a/p

' In the mailmerge, if the "filename" part
' of the name is in a column called "fn",
' all the files to be included are ".doc" files
' and the HTML file is called c:\a\list.htm,
' it should be possible to include that file
' using the following nested field codes:

' { INCLUDETEXT "{ INCLUDETEXT "c:\\a\\list.htm" "{ MERGEFIELD fn }doc" } }

' HTML was chosen as the output format because it
' is easier to produce than a Word .doc file

' Set this to the pathname of the
' top folder in your folder tree
Const topFolderName As String = "c:\a"
' Set this to the pathname of the
' HTML file that your Mail Merge
' Main document will reference.
Const listFileName As String = "c:\a\list.htm"

Dim lngFileNumber As Long

Dim objFile As Scripting.File
Dim objFiles As Scripting.Files
Dim objFolder As Scripting.Folder
Dim objFSO As Scripting.FileSystemObject

Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(topFolderName)
lngFileNumber = FreeFile
Open listFileName For Output As lngFileNumber
Print #lngFileNumber, "htmlbody"

Set objFiles = objFolder.Files
For Each objFile In objFiles
Call addFileToList(objFile, lngFileNumber)
Next
Set objFiles = Nothing

Call processSubFolders(objFolder, lngFileNumber)

finish:
Print #lngFileNumber, "/body/html"
Close #lngFileNumber
Set objFolder = Nothing
Set objFSO = Nothing
End Sub

Sub processSubFolders(objFolder As Scripting.Folder, lngFileNumber As Long)
Dim objFile As Scripting.File
Dim objFiles As Scripting.Files
Dim objFolders As Scripting.Folders
Dim objSubFolder As Scripting.Folder

Set objFolders = objFolder.SubFolders
For Each objSubFolder In objFolders
Set objFiles = objSubFolder.Files
For Each objFile In objFiles
Call addFileToList(objFile, lngFileNumber)
Next
Call processSubFolders(objSubFolder, lngFileNumber)
Next
Set objFolders = Nothing
End Sub

Sub addFileToList(objFile As Scripting.File, _
lngFileNumber As Long)
Print #lngFileNumber, "pa name=""" & Replace(objFile.Name, ".", "") &
"""" & Replace(objFile.Path, "\", "\\") & "/a/p"
End Sub

FWIW, the only other way I could think of that had some potential to do
this would be to manually drag links (Windows shortcuts) for every
document to a single folder, then include all the files from that
folder, adjusting the file name as necessary (e.g. instead of 12345.doc,
you might need to include 12345.doc.lnk ) Unfortunately, when I tried
this, Word seems to treat the .lnk files or the linked files as text
files and does not open them as Word files.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk