Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rodger Rodger is offline

Default Word Limitations

All,

I have a looked on the MS web site and found that Word has a 32MB text limit
and they make note that it does not apply to images/graphics. Does that
mean there is no limit to the amount of images or graphics you can have in a
document?

TIA,
Rodger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Benjamino5 Benjamino5 is offline

I don't know, but I would advise you against creating files anywhere near 32
MB in size--even 10 MB might be pushing it. Large files slow Word down
tremendously and greatly increase the chance of major corruption (since Word
gets flaky with big files and because all your data is one "basket").

I work for a publisher, and we make workbooks in Word, one chapter per file.
If it's possible for you to do something similar, I recommend it.

Good luck!
Ben

"Rodger" wrote:

All,

I have a looked on the MS web site and found that Word has a 32MB text limit
and they make note that it does not apply to images/graphics. Does that
mean there is no limit to the amount of images or graphics you can have in a
document?

TIA,
Rodger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rodger Rodger is offline

Ben,

Thank you . . . .I have a user that has a 12 page document with some graphs
and the file is 110MB. I am looking at it to find out why it is so big.
She has about 8 graphs. I have documents with 20 or so screen shots and
they are only about 500k , , , , ,

Rodger

news

"Rodger" wrote:

All,

I have a looked on the MS web site and found that Word has a 32MB text

limit
and they make note that it does not apply to images/graphics. Does that
mean there is no limit to the amount of images or graphics you can have

in a
document?

TIA,
Rodger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Borrowed from a post by MVP Suzanne Barnhill (and pepeatedly found within
the newsgroups):

"There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Keep track of formatting (Tools | Options | Edit). This is reportedly a
major cause of file bloat in Word 2002 and above.

6. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

7. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

8. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

9. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

10. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm. "

Some of these issues also contribute to the likelihood or corruption,
especially in docs that undergo a great deal of revision. Although I don't
contradict the suggestion Benjamino posted, document length, itself doesn't
cause corruption. If the file has been managed correctly, even approaching
the 32 MB file size will not break the doc. OTOH, even small files that have
been mismanaged will corrupt in the blink of an eye. And yes, the 32 MB
*text* limit is exactly that - other content "doesn't count"
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Rodger" wrote:

All,

I have a looked on the MS web site and found that Word has a 32MB text

limit
and they make note that it does not apply to images/graphics. Does
that
mean there is no limit to the amount of images or graphics you can have

in a
document?

TIA,
Rodger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Rodger:

When she inserted the graphs, chances are she inserted the entire Excel
spreadsheet that generates them. Eight times...

Tell her to take them out, then copy each graph and use EditPaste
Special"As picture". The file will immediately lose 109 of those 110 MB
:-)

Yes, the documented limits for Word refer only to the Text Stream within the
document. The actual limiting file size is much higher than that: about 2
GB on a normal file system, much bigger on Windows NTFS 64-bit.

However... Hard disks haven't gotten any faster recently: waiting for a 2GB
file to save every ten minutes is not fun :-)

Cheers

"Rodger" wrote:

All,

I have a looked on the MS web site and found that Word has a 32MB text

limit
and they make note that it does not apply to images/graphics. Does that
mean there is no limit to the amount of images or graphics you can have

in a
document?

TIA,
Rodger

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rodger Rodger is offline

THANK YOU ALL . . . . .

When I did the paste special as a picture this reduced the document from
110MB to under 1MB . . . . .Now it won't kill on email server when she has
to create this every quarter for all our departments . . . . .

Thanks again!!!!

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...