Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default 2007 Outline #s don't follow when 2nd level doesn't follow § chang

I have followed (I think) the procedure at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html., but in 2007
word I don't find an custom outline number gallary.

Related problem is that level 1 changes but level two continues form level 2
in the previous level 2 section:

Section 1
1.1
1.2
Section 2
1.3
1.4

For heading 2 numbering on modify to follow heading 2
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Ok, maybe I've got it. When I call up numbering again, and I go to formating
the number, I replace the unshaded number (that is the number to the left of
the decemal) with that of the number on the Heading 1, it uses that number,
while the number on the right of the decimal indexes, starting at 1

So, in this listing is the way it was:

1 heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.2 Heading 2
2 heading 1
1.3 Heading 2
1.4 Heading 2

I now get:

1 heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.2 Heading 2
2 heading 1
2.1 Heading 2
2.2 Heading 2

Surely, I don't have to do this after every Heading 1? What am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You don't type the number in as text; you use the "Previous level" dropdown
to insert Level 1, which inserts a field that picks up the numbering of the
higher level. If you choose one of the out-of-the-box numbering schemes
(such as the one that shows 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 numbering), this is all set up for
you automatically.

"bretsharon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

I found a good narrative on this subject Word 2007 at
www.uwec.edu/help/Word07/out-bn.htm, which was helpful. Click on multlist,
and select a style and close.. Click on multilist again and go straght to
"Define new Multilevel List. When there to see more adjustments, go to
"More" at the bottom of the panel. There are all the adjustments you need to
make in one spot. Will need to use the Outline View from time to time to
promote/demote.

You also will need to go to styles/modify/format for various items as well,
but the numbering under format did not seem to work well, so I suggest doing
all this undetr Define new Multlevel list.

It also can be helpful in numbering to use the list button as well, it seems
to carryover to the multi list.

But see the univ of wiscon article.

"bretsharon" wrote:

I have followed (I think) the procedure at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html., but in 2007
word I don't find an custom outline number gallary.

Related problem is that level 1 changes but level two continues form level 2
in the previous level 2 section:

Section 1
1.1
1.2
Section 2
1.3
1.4

For heading 2 numbering on modify to follow heading 2
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The multi-level list in Word 2007 is comparable to the Outline Numbered tab
in Bullets and Numbering in previous versions; it is always the place to go
to set up multi-level (outline) lists; that is the method described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

Note that you don't need to use Outline view to promote/demote. You can use
the built-in keyboard shortcuts (Alt+Shift+Left/Right Arrow) or, if you have
the AutoFormat options appropriately set, Tab and Shift+Tab/Backspace. These
shortcuts are listed at the bottom of the article you cited.

There's a Microsoft article on the subject (less detailed) at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100626241033.

"bretsharon" wrote:

I have followed (I think) the procedure at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html., but in

2007
word I don't find an custom outline number gallary.

Related problem is that level 1 changes but level two continues form

level 2
in the previous level 2 section:

Section 1
1.1
1.2
Section 2
1.3
1.4

For heading 2 numbering on modify to follow heading 2
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Also note, you want to use "Define new List style" instead of "Define new
Multilevel list". The former is stored in the document, the latter isn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The multi-level list in Word 2007 is comparable to the Outline Numbered
tab
in Bullets and Numbering in previous versions; it is always the place to
go
to set up multi-level (outline) lists; that is the method described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

Note that you don't need to use Outline view to promote/demote. You can
use
the built-in keyboard shortcuts (Alt+Shift+Left/Right Arrow) or, if you
have
the AutoFormat options appropriately set, Tab and Shift+Tab/Backspace.
These
shortcuts are listed at the bottom of the article you cited.

There's a Microsoft article on the subject (less detailed) at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100626241033.

so
all may benefit.