Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe Medford Joe Medford is offline

Default Protect Image in Word Document

I am currently using Office 2007, instructions in either 2003 or 2007 would
be great.
I created a document. I inserted an image into the document. How can I
protect the image so it can not be moved by clicking on it with the mouse?
I know I can use forms, but since that does not allow spell checking that is
not an option

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 1 May 2007 22:28:43 -0400, "Joe Medford"
wrote:

I am currently using Office 2007, instructions in either 2003 or 2007 would
be great.
I created a document. I inserted an image into the document. How can I
protect the image so it can not be moved by clicking on it with the mouse?
I know I can use forms, but since that does not allow spell checking that is
not an option

Thanks

In Word 2003, protecting the document is the only way to do this. A
protected document can be spell-checked by the macro in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...ProtectDoc.htm. But
since the only way to put any new text into a protected document is to
put it into text form fields, that's probably a nonstarter too.

In Word 2007, you can use an Image Content Control to do _almost_ what
you want. This doesn't require protection and leaves the rest of the
document unaffected. First go to the Word Options dialog and check the
option to show the Developer tab in the ribbon. On the Developer tab,
in the Controls group, click the Image button (third from left in the
top row. While the control is selected, click the Properties button in
the Controls group and check the option that the control can't be
deleted. Then click in the control to insert a picture.

The control won't let you drag the picture itself. If you drag the
control (by the handle on the upper left corner), it makes a copy at
the new location, but the old one stays where it was because it can't
be deleted.

If a Word 2007 document containing an image content control is saved
in Word 2003 format, it will be converted to a plain picture in that
file, with no protection at all. The same thing happens if you have
the Compatibility Pack installed on Word 2003 and you open the file in
Word 2007 format.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Joe:

If you put the image inline in a paragraph, it can't be dragged around.

If the placement allows, you might consider anchoring the image in the
header or footer of that page. You can create a separate section to avoid
repeating the image on all pages.

This might be all the protection you need, but you can also programatically
lock access to the header and footer.

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...dercontent.htm

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"Joe Medford" wrote:

I am currently using Office 2007, instructions in either 2003 or 2007 would
be great.
I created a document. I inserted an image into the document. How can I
protect the image so it can not be moved by clicking on it with the mouse?
I know I can use forms, but since that does not allow spell checking that is
not an option

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Joe:

Sorry, but I can't answer that. As my signature says, I'm back on Word 2000.
Perhaps a 2007 user can help confirm this?

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000