Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ken A. Dienne[_2_] Ken A. Dienne[_2_] is offline

Default How to add page 'corners'?

Hi:

In WORD 2003, my page (in outline view) had little grey right-angles to
indicate the corners of the page - i.e. where the margin corners began. Is
there any way to make these appear in WORD 2007?

Thanks!

Ken
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Ken A. Dienne wrote:
Hi:

In WORD 2003, my page (in outline view) had little grey right-angles
to indicate the corners of the page - i.e. where the margin corners
began. Is there any way to make these appear in WORD 2007?

Thanks!

Ken

The corner marks were a side-effect of having an East Asian language
enabled. A lot of people were disturbed by them and spent a lot of effort
trying to get rid of them. (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839371)

Assuming you don't have need of Chinese or similar, you might be satisfied
with a similar feature that's in all versions of Word: Go to Office button
Word Options Advanced Show document content and check the option for
"Show text boundaries".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jay,

FWIW, in Word 2007, the entry right below 'Show text boundaries,
'Show crop marks' will display just the corner marks. Not being able to turn off the crop marks setting in Word 2003 was a side
effect of the language settings, but that is fixed in Word 2007.

============
"Jay Freedman" wrote in message ...

The corner marks were a side-effect of having an East Asian language
enabled. A lot of people were disturbed by them and spent a lot of effort
trying to get rid of them. (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839371)

Assuming you don't have need of Chinese or similar, you might be satisfied
with a similar feature that's in all versions of Word: Go to Office button
Word Options Advanced Show document content and check the option for
"Show text boundaries".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Thanks, Bob. Something else I hadn't noticed. I don't often have a use for crop
marks, but it's nice to know somebody on the Dev team was paying attention.

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:24:40 -0700, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At
Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Keep in mind, however, that they aren't really crop marks (unless you plan
to crop pages at the margins).

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
news
[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, even MS admits that it doesn't add 'crop marks'
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q176136

FWIW, what the 'crop marks' setting was useful for, other than the visual reference to where the margins on when in print layout
view, especially when labels were more expensive, was to use on a plain sheet of paper to be held up to a light over a sheet of
labels to see if the alignment was right before you 'wasted' a sheet of labels g.

Your article has clearer pictures then the MS article g
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CropMarks.htm

==============
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
Keep in mind, however, that they aren't really crop marks (unless you plan
to crop pages at the margins).

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Clearly the illustrations in the KB article were created using underlines
and pipes; what I don't understand is why the area they're in has ghostly
scroll bars. Clearly they somehow adjust in size when the window is resized
(unlike a screen shot), but I don't know how they were created.

I like the idea (in Method 2 of the KB article) of just using a rectangle,
though, instead of grouped lines, counting on the printer to truncate the
excess.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...