Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JStiehl JStiehl is offline

Default Sharing AutoText entries

I have created AutoText entries available in a new template available for
others to use. When they open the template, they can see the list of entries
and select them from Insert:AutoText toolbar. However, the AutoComplete
feature is not working properly. The list of AutoText entries is quite
lengthy and it would be much more efficient to have this feature working.
The AutoComplete box is checked, I have gone through the Organizer and added
the entries as add-ins, but when the name of the AutoText entry is typed,
other users get an error message and the document undergoes a recovery
process. I appreciate any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that AutoComplete requires the name of each entry to be at least four
characters long and (more or less) unique. In order for it to fire after you
type the first four letters, these letters must be different from the first
four letters of any other entry name. If they're not, you may have to type
more letters before AutoComplete fires. Note that the entries themselves
don't have to begin differently, just the entry names.

"JStiehl" wrote in message
I have created AutoText entries available in a new template available for
others to use. When they open the template, they can see the list of
entries
and select them from Insert:AutoText toolbar. However, the AutoComplete
feature is not working properly. The list of AutoText entries is quite
lengthy and it would be much more efficient to have this feature working.
The AutoComplete box is checked, I have gone through the Organizer and
added
the entries as add-ins, but when the name of the AutoText entry is typed,
other users get an error message and the document undergoes a recovery
process. I appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JStiehl JStiehl is offline

The names of the entries are unique and work on my computer, but not anyone
elses. Any other suggestions?

"JStiehl" wrote in message
I have created AutoText entries available in a new template available for
others to use. When they open the template, they can see the list of
entries
and select them from Insert:AutoText toolbar. However, the AutoComplete
feature is not working properly. The list of AutoText entries is quite
lengthy and it would be much more efficient to have this feature working.
The AutoComplete box is checked, I have gone through the Organizer and
added
the entries as add-ins, but when the name of the AutoText entry is typed,
other users get an error message and the document undergoes a recovery
process. I appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The fact that users can see the entries in the list suggests that they are
in fact saved in the template you have distributed (and not in your
Normal.dot, as default), so I can't think of anything else.

"JStiehl" wrote in message
I have created AutoText entries available in a new template available
for
others to use. When they open the template, they can see the list of
entries
and select them from Insert:AutoText toolbar. However, the
AutoComplete
feature is not working properly. The list of AutoText entries is quite
lengthy and it would be much more efficient to have this feature
working.
The AutoComplete box is checked, I have gone through the Organizer and
added
the entries as add-ins, but when the name of the AutoText entry is
typed,
other users get an error message and the document undergoes a recovery
process. I appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi J.,

Are all of you using the same version of Word?

When you say others 'open the template', are they attaching it to a document, or adding it as a Global template or using it as a
template to create new documents?

Is the name of the style that holds these Autotext entries a common one or a unique one just for those entries?

If you go to the Insert=Autotext=Autotext dialog, at the bottom of the dialog is 'Look in' set to 'All active templates'? If it's
set to 'Normal.dot' then only the entries in that template will work with AutoComplete.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP