Island Girl

Default Printed doc unlike onscreen document

I worked on a 47-page document (version 6) that had numbered headings 1 thru
4. Onscreen it looked just fine but when I printed it, Heading 1 on page 28
had receded into the previous paragraph with no heading number attached; then
a couple of pages further down a Heading 2 had done the same thing.

Again, onscreen everything looked fine, but the print job didn't (I tried
two different printers). If time had allowed I would have created a new
document, but it was a rush job; but having more faith in my typing skills
than my troubleshooting ones, I retyped those two pages and sent the document
on its way with a warning of its unstable condition.

For future reference, is there a quick fix or a permanent one for this
situation?

As always, thank you!

What should I have looked for first of all.

Island Girl

Suzanne, I feel so stupid for not having thought of that. I should know that
by now!

It worked, and thanks for coming through again!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

It's unclear to me why, in this instance, the paragraph mark was formatted
as hidden (the usual reason is described in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm), but the fact that you
didn't spot this indicates that you're working with nonprinting characters
displayed and that's (usually) a smart thing to do!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Check the paragraph mark at the end of the paragraph before the numbered

one
that moves and make sure it isn't formatted as Hidden. If this is the
problem, then Print Preview should also show you how this will print.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.