Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KenRamoska KenRamoska is offline

Default Odd problem in Word formatting.

Hi
I have a document with headings at the top of each page. When I turn on the
show characters button some of them have a small solid square to the
immediate left of the letter. Now when I turn on header/footer I can clearly
see that one header is lower than the other on the other page. I am totally
stumped. I can't get them the same height horizontally on the facing pages.
This only happens on some pages...Any help would be appreciated.

I have no idea why my top of the pages don't line up. I have checked page
setup and margins are fine. I have not touched the header/footer boxes
either. They are all the same height.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For the square, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

The presence of this bullet suggests that one of your headers has acquired a
heading style (Headings 1-4 are formatted as "Keep with next"), which will
have some Space Before built in. If you change it back to Header style you
should be back in business. If it changed on its own (and not due to some
misunderstanding on your part), make sure you have "Define styles based on
your formatting" disabled on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools |
AutoCorrect Options.