Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mani K Mani K is offline

Default Word 2003 Mail merge - Inserting word filed if...then...else

I am using word 2003. I have a MM document with about 10 merge fields created
as word table (6 for address and 4 for Mail ID phones etc which will not be
in the letter for used for other purposes). For some records one/two fields
are blank. Say mail_ID or Home phone. I want to use "Insert word field "
"if..else..then" for such records and add text to requesting the concerned to
furnish the mail_ID. I select the field name mail_ID "equals to blank" how
I compare? (compare with what in the third box). Anybody can help me? Thanks
in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

IMO it doesn't take long before it becomes easier to insert these fields
directly, e.g.
a. put the insertion point where you want the field
b. press ctrl-F9 to insert a pair of "special field braces" to give you

{ }

c. type IF "" = "" "the text you want" "" in between to give you

{ IF "" = "" "the text you want" "" }

d. put the insertion point between the first "" and press F9 again

{ IF "{ }" = "" "the text you want" "" }

e. type MERGEFIELD "Mail_ID"

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD "Mail_ID" }" = "" "the text you want" "" }

f. either copy/paste the { MERGEFIELD "Mail_ID" } field between the final
"" or repeat (d) and (e) but putting the insertion point between the final
"" to give you

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD "Mail_ID" }" = "" "the text you want" "{ MERGEFIELD
"Mail_ID" }" }

You can drop the quotes around Mail_ID if it doesn't have spaces and so on.
You can usually drop the quotes around the { MERGEFIELD Mail_ID } fields as
well, but I prefer to keep them.

Use Alt-F9 to toggle between field codes and results/preview, and sleect and
press F9 to update a particular field's result as necessary.

Peter Jamieson

"Mani K" wrote in message
I am using word 2003. I have a MM document with about 10 merge fields
created
as word table (6 for address and 4 for Mail ID phones etc which will not
be
in the letter for used for other purposes). For some records one/two
fields
are blank. Say mail_ID or Home phone. I want to use "Insert word field "
"if..else..then" for such records and add text to requesting the concerned
furnish the mail_ID. I select the field name mail_ID "equals to blank"
how
I compare? (compare with what in the third box). Anybody can help me?
Thanks
in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mani K Mani K is offline

Hi
Thank you very much. It helped. Thanks again

Mani K