Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cnidoginlv

Default Styles and "keep track of formatting"

One of the most annoyting things I have found with the recent versions of
Word is the way any formatting change that is made in a document shows up in
the "Styles" pane.

I found the suggestion to uncheck "Keep track of formatting" and thought
"voila! my problem is solved!" - NOT. I proceeded to unchedk this "feature".

I created a table in my document; it IMMEDIATELY showed up in the styles
pane as a "Table Grid" style. I did not create a style; I do not think that
a table is a style unless it has been CLEARLY DEFINED AS SUCH.

This is VERY annoying and VERY frustrating, especially since the solution
for this issue led me to believe that styles actually could be managed! (MUCH
MUCH easier in previous versions!!) -

I only want styles to show up that are truly and clearly defined as a style;
is this even possible anymore?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Russ

There are many styles in the standard template that are always present. You
do not see all of them unless you have "All Styles" selected in the Show
drop-down of the Styles and Formatting task pane. The other items in Show
filter the list in some way with "Formatting in use" filtering down to only
those styles that are actually in use in the document. When you add a table,
you have created an object that implicitly uses the Table Grid style, so that
style will now show up in your filtered list. This is not a bug but by
design. Because you have added an object to your document that carries
implicit formatting, the associated styles are added to your filtered list.

Incidentally, some styles never appear in the list even in "All Styles".
For example, if you create a Table of Contents, the TOC # styles that are
used by the various entries of the table do not appear in any of the lists of
styles, but you can see and work with a TOC # style by selecting a *row* of
the Table of Contents and then manipulating the style in the "Formatting of
Selected Text" field at the top of the Styles and Formatting task pane.

I am a huge advocate of templates and styles. They are incredibly useful
once you get to know how they work. Without them, managing the formatting of
massive documents would be a nightmare. I encourage you to give them a
chance. There may be some things that you believe ought to work some other
way, but as you become accustomed to the behavior of Word styles, I think you
will find them quite easy and powerful.

Russ Cannon