Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
spinball spinball is offline

Default Mail Merge

Hi, i'm trying to merge a word document with infomation from an excel
worksheet.I have completed the mail merge, however, the original document
appears in the scroll after each merged document i.e. original doc/merged
data/original doc/merged data/original doc,ect ect.Can anyone help ?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

That is unusual. I don't suppose you have something like an INCLUDETEXT
field that is including the mail merge main document?

the scroll

?

Are you merging directly to a printer, or to an output document? What type
of merge (I assume it is Letters/Form Letters)? Which version of Word?

What if you create a new, very simple mail merge document that uses the same
data?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"spinball" wrote in message
Hi, i'm trying to merge a word document with infomation from an excel
worksheet.I have completed the mail merge, however, the original document
appears in the scroll after each merged document i.e. original doc/merged
data/original doc/merged data/original doc,ect ect.Can anyone help ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you saying that you get a document that contains as many copies of the
original document as there are records in your data source with each of
those copies containing the data from an individual record in that data
source.

If so, that is the expected result if a letter type mail merge main document
is executed to a new document. If you want to create individual documents
for each record in the data source, see the "Individual Merge Letters" item
on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

If you are using Word XP or later, the "Add-in to Merge Letters to Separate
Files" that I have written and that can be downloaded from that site will
allow you to create each letter as a separate file with a filename taken
from a field in the data source with a minimum of fuss.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"spinball" wrote in message
Hi, i'm trying to merge a word document with infomation from an excel
worksheet.I have completed the mail merge, however, the original document
appears in the scroll after each merged document i.e. original doc/merged
data/original doc/merged data/original doc,ect ect.Can anyone help ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
spinball spinball is offline

no! i've solved it!.when merging with excel you must not leave blank lines in
the spread sheet.you must take the ticks out of the blank lines on the
preview screen.Then all is o.k. DONT LEAVE BLANK LINES WHEN MERGING!

"spinball" wrote in message
Hi, i'm trying to merge a word document with infomation from an excel
worksheet.I have completed the mail merge, however, the original document
appears in the scroll after each merged document i.e. original doc/merged
data/original doc/merged data/original doc,ect ect.Can anyone help ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Well done - thanks for letting us know.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk