Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nick Nick is offline

Default DDE Connection

I'm trying to do a Simple mail merge to our production Database. Our Testing
Access database works fine, where I'm able to open the query through the
"open source" within the mail merge function of Word, but When I try to do
the same exact steps with our Production Access database I get the following
error. Both databases are fairly identical in data and structure.

"Word can not re-establish a DDE connection to Microsoft Access to complete
the current task."

I'm running a Dell optiplex 745 machine with Windows XP sp2 and using
Microsoft Word 2000 sp3 and trying to connect to a query in Microsoft Access
2000 sp3.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The most likely reasons a
a. Access has displayed a dialog box (particularly if you are using a
parameter query), but the dialog box is hidden behind the Word window.
Try using ctrl-tab to see it
b. Access Tools-Options-Advanced-Ignore DDE requests has been checked
c. (maybe) the database is displaying something other than the default
text in Access's title bar

NB, when Word connects to Access via DDE, it has to
a. start Access if it is not running (so if you start in a state where
Access is not running, and you see Access start, that is a good sign.)
b. open the database if it is not already open. If that would
typically cause a security dialog box to be displayed, that's another
dialog that might be hidden behind Word.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk