Nicole99

Default Table Heading

I am working on a very large report broken down into several sections.
Within each section are 10-15 tables. There are repeat headings turned on to
define each column. Above the table is a title such as "Table 1-3, Soil
Characteristics"

My dilemma is twofold:

1. How can I have the title "Table 1-3, Soil Characteristics" repeat? (I
have thought about moving this into the table itself and repeating) but would
like these consecutive pages to state "Continued" after the title?

2. How do I get these headings not to repeat over and over in the Table of
Contents?

BTW, this is all in XP (Word 2002)

Thanks for your help.
Nicole
Doug Robbins

Having the Table title in the Table itself is probably the best way to get
it to repeat, but there is no easy way to handle the "Continued"

It can possibly be done by having the "Continued" in the first row of the
table if you insert and If...then...Else field in the header of the section
containing the table that compares the page number to the pagenumber of a
bookmark inserted into the first (non-header) row of the table. You then
however need to have each table in a separate section for this to work.
It's quite fiddly to set up, but I don't think that there is any other way.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Nicole99" wrote in message
I am working on a very large report broken down into several sections.
Within each section are 10-15 tables. There are repeat headings turned on
define each column. Above the table is a title such as "Table 1-3, Soil
Characteristics"

My dilemma is twofold:

1. How can I have the title "Table 1-3, Soil Characteristics" repeat? (I
have thought about moving this into the table itself and repeating) but
would
like these consecutive pages to state "Continued" after the title?

2. How do I get these headings not to repeat over and over in the Table
of
Contents?

BTW, this is all in XP (Word 2002)

Thanks for your help.
Nicole

I believe such fiddles as the one you describe, Doug, don't actually work
because the heading row is an artifact. One trick that does work (but is
even more fiddly) is to include "Continued" in the repeated heading row but
cover it on the first page with a text box or AutoShape (No Line, White
Fill) anchored in the first non-heading row of the table.

"Nicole99" wrote in message
I am working on a very large report broken down into several sections.
Within each section are 10-15 tables. There are repeat headings turned

on
define each column. Above the table is a title such as "Table 1-3, Soil
Characteristics"

My dilemma is twofold:

1. How can I have the title "Table 1-3, Soil Characteristics" repeat?

(I
have thought about moving this into the table itself and repeating) but
would
like these consecutive pages to state "Continued" after the title?

2. How do I get these headings not to repeat over and over in the Table
of
Contents?

BTW, this is all in XP (Word 2002)

Thanks for your help.
Nicole

Nicole99

Thanks for the quick response Suzanne.

I have tried doing what you suggested but am still having trouble anchoring
the text box/object (tried both). I have gone into "Format Text Box",
layout, advanced, and have an absolute position setup along with the options
"move object with text" and "lock anchor" check off and still by text box
will not move with the text. Any suggestions?

Nicole

"Nicole99" wrote in message
I am working on a very large report broken down into several sections.
Within each section are 10-15 tables. There are repeat headings turned

on
define each column. Above the table is a title such as "Table 1-3, Soil
Characteristics"

My dilemma is twofold:

1. How can I have the title "Table 1-3, Soil Characteristics" repeat?

(I
have thought about moving this into the table itself and repeating) but
would
like these consecutive pages to state "Continued" after the title?

2. How do I get these headings not to repeat over and over in the Table
of
Contents?

BTW, this is all in XP (Word 2002)

Thanks for your help.
Nicole

Is it positioned Relative to Paragraph?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I believe such fiddles as the one you describe, Doug, don't actually

work
because the heading row is an artifact. One trick that does work (but is
even more fiddly) is to include "Continued" in the repeated heading row

but
cover it on the first page with a text box or AutoShape (No Line, White
Fill) anchored in the first non-heading row of the table.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Nicole99" wrote in message
[...]

The vertical position should also be Relative to Paragraph (that is, the
paragraph it's anchored to in a non-heading cell).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my