Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nilufer Nilufer is offline

Default Headers and Footers

Im trying to make a header by putting my last name on the top right hand
corner and a page number next to it, but i want the page number to change
everytime I start typing a new page. ex: (1,2,3....) instead its always
(1,1,1..). Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Insert the Page field into the Header (under the Insert Menu). The field
will update dynamically.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Nilufer" wrote in message
Im trying to make a header by putting my last name on the top right hand
corner and a page number next to it, but i want the page number to change
everytime I start typing a new page. ex: (1,2,3....) instead its always
(1,1,1..). Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

When you are in the header pane, the Header and Footer toolbar is displayed.
Where you are typing 1 for the page number, instead of typing, instead use
the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar. This will
insert a { PAGE } field that will update automatically.

"Nilufer" wrote in message
Im trying to make a header by putting my last name on the top right hand
corner and a page number next to it, but i want the page number to change
everytime I start typing a new page. ex: (1,2,3....) instead its always
(1,1,1..). Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

On the subject of headers and page numbers, is there a way of beginning the
page numbering on the second, rather than the first, page of the document,
apart from making the first page a separate section?

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes. On the Layout tab of Page Setup, check the box for "Different first
page." This will give you a separate First Page Header/Footer. Leave it
blank. Insert your PAGE field in the primary Header/Footer. If you want to
start at 1 on page 2, click the Format Page Number button on the Header and
Footer toolbar and start the numbering at 0.

Alternatively, if this is a very simple document that will never have more
than a single section and will not have anything in the header/footer except
a page number, use the Insert | Page Numbers dialog, clearing the check box
for "Show number on first page." Click the Format... button and start
numbering at 0 if desired.

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
On the subject of headers and page numbers, is there a way of beginning

the
page numbering on the second, rather than the first, page of the document,
apart from making the first page a separate section?

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

One alternative is to use an IF field with nested fields inside, each
field created by pressing Ctrl+F9:

{IF {PAGE} 1 "{= {PAGE} - 1}" ""}

Another alternative -- not necessarily a good one, depending on why
you're doing this -- is to select "Different first page"
header/footers, don't display any page number on the first page, and
either:

- set the page numbering to start with 0, or

- replace the {PAGE} field with the nested formula field
{= {PAGE} - 1}

Note that only the one where you change the starting page number to 0
will behave properly with a table of contents or index; the others
change only the displayed numbers in the headers, not the actual page
numbers that are reported to the TOC and Index fields.

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:44:24 +0100, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

On the subject of headers and page numbers, is there a way of beginning the
page numbering on the second, rather than the first, page of the document,
apart from making the first page a separate section?

Bert

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Susan and Jay,

Thanks very much: lots to experiment with there. As luck would have it, I
now have a document that needs several unnumbered pages before the numbering
starts (at "1") so I'll see if any of the methods you've given me can
accomplish that.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Bert

I would suggest that if there are several front pages that Weill be
unnumbered or numbered differently, you keep those pages as a separate
section and start a new section where you want the numbering to commence.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Susan and Jay,

Thanks very much: lots to experiment with there. As luck would have it, I
now have a document that needs several unnumbered pages before the
numbering starts (at "1") so I'll see if any of the methods you've given
me can accomplish that.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry Farrell wrote:

I would suggest that if there are several front pages that Weill be
unnumbered or numbered differently, you keep those pages as a separate
section and start a new section where you want the numbering to commence.

Which is, in fact, the method I've been using when only one unnumbered page
was required. My original query was to see if any alternative ways were
available: something like a command to hide or display the numbering on a
page-by-page basis, maybe.

Thanks for the reply.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Bert

Certainly you can use fields to do this, but they become a little tricky to
maintain if the document is going to be edited later if the number of pages
in the unnumbered front change.

But you can manipulate the fieldcode using the IF field. Say the front 5
pages need to be unnumbered and you want to start page 6 as Page 1, then you
would use an argument IF page number is less than 6: positive result is
nothing: negative result, then insert page number - 5.

If you see Jay's answer above, you would edit his fieldcode to something
like:

{IF {PAGE} 6 "" "{= {PAGE} - 5}"}

So if the page is 1 - 5 the result is "" (so nothing is displayed)
If the Page number is 6 or greater the result is "{= {PAGE} - 5}" or 6-5=1
(so 1 is displayed).

Terry

Terry Farrell wrote:

I would suggest that if there are several front pages that Weill be
unnumbered or numbered differently, you keep those pages as a separate
section and start a new section where you want the numbering to commence.

Which is, in fact, the method I've been using when only one unnumbered
page was required. My original query was to see if any alternative ways
were available: something like a command to hide or display the numbering
on a page-by-page basis, maybe.

Thanks for the reply.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Once you get beyond a single page, section breaks provide the most practical
solution. As Terry indicates, you can use fields, but they will, in the long
run, be more difficult to maintain.

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Susan and Jay,

Thanks very much: lots to experiment with there. As luck would have it, I
now have a document that needs several unnumbered pages before the

numbering
starts (at "1") so I'll see if any of the methods you've given me can
accomplish that.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Terry,

I'm grateful, as ever, for the detailed answer and advice, but really it's
all way too complicated. I want my word processor to be as nearly invisible
as possible, and I certainly don't want to have to think about anything even
remotely resembling programming.

I think I'd prefer forgetting about headers and footers altogether in favour
of simply going through a finished document typing in the page numbers.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Thanks, Suzanne.

Bert

Headers and Footers TimJim Microsoft Word Help 1 February 8th 07 09:16 AM
Headers & footers Lighthouse Microsoft Word Help 2 September 28th 06 01:54 PM
Headers & Footers Deborah Microsoft Word Help 2 May 5th 06 08:26 PM
Headers and Footers Sher Page Layout 2 April 12th 05 05:55 AM
Footers & Headers Sitara Lal New Users 2 January 25th 05 05:36 PM