AM

Default Error message re normal.dot file and prompt re global template

I have been getting the error message some have posted with a little twist.
When I start word (97) I get a message that it encountered trouble opening
and can attempt recovery. When I sign off, or if I click no ie don't attempt
recovery, I get the messages about saving changes to normal. I've gone over
the info at the link posted elsewhere
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...514521033.aspx)
but can't find anything to help. I do not have officeav.dll, but I do have
a file called navmswordnlu.dot in the templates and add-ins dialog box. What
can I do to eliminate this nuisance problem? I've scanned for viruses many
times.
Thanks