Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ketch

Default tollbar settings stored in which nornal.dot

I have a user who each time he set's his toolbar and exits it comes back up
all messed up. I know (or at least I think these settigns are stored in
normal.dot. My question is which one. May sound funny but under file
location his settings are as follows. :
Docuemnts - Is his hoem directory on the server
user tempaltes - Is a seperate folder also on the network
workgroup - Is another folder on the network that everyone here (about 40
users) point to
startup - is much the same as the workgroup with multiple prople pointing to
this folder

tools and auto recovery and clip aret are pointing to his local default word
directory on his C drive.

THis set up has been in place for longer thean I've been here so I'm
somewhat confused as to why it is or perhpas it was bad planning.

I've tried to open and modify his nornal.dot that is located in the "user
tempaltes" and saved but it didn't work. IF this is the one I should be
looking at then I'll see about adobe being installed. (I saw this question
asked a ways backk) and do a shift file save all to force it to save. Just
want to make sure I'm doing it to the correct naoral.dot.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Yes, the active Normal.dot is in the folder listed as the User Templates
location. I would hope that each user has a separate folder on the server
for their User Templates location, so they aren't all sharing the same
Normal.dot. Sharing the Workgroup Templates folder is OK.

Check for the Acrobat add-in. Also check that the user still has Full
Control access to the User Templates folder -- it's possible to have Read
but not Write access, which would prevent saving changes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

ketch wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ketch

Thanks Jay for the speedy response. Yes each person has their own user
template and share the workgroup templates.

ketch wrote:
[...]

Where are Word 2003 Settings Stored ? smi1ing1 Microsoft Word Help 2 May 4th 06 05:27 AM
Where are Tools Options settings stored? Ann Scharpf Microsoft Word Help 8 November 15th 05 07:15 PM
NONE TO HELP !!!! - ALL of my Office Settings has gone Jae Microsoft Word Help 0 April 14th 05 12:33 AM
Template settings TRM Page Layout 1 February 7th 05 11:11 AM
Word 2003-Where Settings Are Stored for Measurement Units Diamonds_Mine Microsoft Word Help 3 January 3rd 05 06:54 PM