Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Day[_2_] Bob Day[_2_] is offline

Default Stop proofing errors check when opening long document

Using word 2007 enterprise on stand alone laptop...

I work with a lot of very long documents in development, so I am not very
concerned about proofing until we are ready to finalize. Each time I open a
document, an icon in the lower left of the Word screen (looks like a book
flipping pages with a pen) checks the entire document for proofing errors and
when done, allows you to to skip through the document to the errors it found
(or do nothing). This dramatically slows down the opening of a document
and I do nothing with the error list it compiles.

Is there a ways to stop this "scanning the entire document for proofing
errors upon open"? If not, is there a way to make it run in background?

Thanks
Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Bob Day wrote:
Using word 2007 enterprise on stand alone laptop...

I work with a lot of very long documents in development, so I am not
very concerned about proofing until we are ready to finalize. Each
time I open a document, an icon in the lower left of the Word screen
(looks like a book flipping pages with a pen) checks the entire
document for proofing errors and when done, allows you to to skip
through the document to the errors it found (or do nothing). This
dramatically slows down the opening of a document and I do nothing
with the error list it compiles.

Is there a ways to stop this "scanning the entire document for
proofing errors upon open"? If not, is there a way to make it run in
background?

Thanks
Bob

Go to Office button Word Options Proofing and uncheck the options "Check
spelling as you type" and "Mark grammar errors as you type".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Day[_2_] Bob Day[_2_] is offline

No, I do want them turned on "as you type". What I am trying to turn off is
the a review of the entire document for spelling/grammer when you open it,
because that slows down the opening of long documents.

Any other ideas?

Bob

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Bob Day wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

No, there aren't and won't be any other ideas. It's all of one piece -- "as
you type" checking starts when you open the document and continues as long
as the document is open. The alternative is to turn off "as you type"
checking and only run manual checking when you want to allow the time, or
select only new material and hit F7.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Bob Day wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.