Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
West Kilbride Paul West Kilbride Paul is offline

Default Word Won't Start

I'm using MS Word 2000 and Windows XP on a stand-alone PC. In one of the
four user accounts on the PC Word will not start. I've tried using all of
the usual methods - clicking on the icons/shortcuts, double clicking on Word
files and using Start/Run/msword.exe, all to no avail. If I log into any of
the other three accounts it works perfectly.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The "usual" methods don't seem to include starting word using the /a switch
or renaming the Data key in the registry. Take a look at the suggestions
shown he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
I'm using MS Word 2000 and Windows XP on a stand-alone PC. In one of the
four user accounts on the PC Word will not start. I've tried using all of
the usual methods - clicking on the icons/shortcuts, double clicking on
Word
files and using Start/Run/msword.exe, all to no avail. If I log into any
of
the other three accounts it works perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
West Kilbride Paul West Kilbride Paul is offline

Thanks for the advice.

I had already tried the /a switch and deleting the normal.dot template.
Folowing your advice I tried renaming the Data Key in Regisry. Unfortunately
that hasn't worked either!

I've looked through the remaining options and it doesn't appear that any are
applicable.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

The "usual" methods don't seem to include starting word using the /a switch
or renaming the Data key in the registry. Take a look at the suggestions
shown he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"West Kilbride Paul" West Kilbride wrote in
message ...
I'm using MS Word 2000 and Windows XP on a stand-alone PC. In one of the
four user accounts on the PC Word will not start. I've tried using all of
the usual methods - clicking on the icons/shortcuts, double clicking on
Word
files and using Start/Run/msword.exe, all to no avail. If I log into any
of
the other three accounts it works perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are there any add-ins? Have you eliminated the printer driver as the
culprit?

"West Kilbride Paul" wrote in
message ...

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
West Kilbride Paul West Kilbride Paul is offline

Unfortunately the printer driver doesn't seem to be the problem either.
Nothing has changed on the machine setup - just that one day Word refused to
start!

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm assuming that you've rebooted your computer. If not, then do that and
try again.

If the problem persists... What if you create a new user (Control Panel -
User Accounts)? Will Word start okay for the new user? If so, then it's
definitely a corrupted settings issue of some kind. If not, then the problem
is with the Word installation itself, and might be one or more corrupted
files (winword.exe or a .dll, for example).

Have you tried looking at the events log to see if there are any telltale
application errors?

Also, any luck if you run Word using the /r switch? This doesn't launch
Word, but re-registers it to the operating system. After running with the /r
switch, remove the /r switch and try again.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are there any add-ins? Have you eliminated the printer driver as the
culprit?

so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
West Kilbride Paul West Kilbride Paul is offline

Thanks very much for your advice so far!

Looks like it's definitely a corrupted settings issue. I've tried
everything that you suggested.

Word starts fine in any account but mine

The /r switch doesn't make any difference, unfortunately

However, the events log suggests that mso9.dll is the file that's causing
the problem. Any ideas how I go about repairing/replacing it?