Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Default Headers locked out

On some of my documents, I cannot access the Headers or Footers section. I'm in Print view and I want to add a header. I
cannot get into that part of the document! It's like I'm locked out. There are not any headers in the document yet.
I'musing Word XP.

Lady Dungeness
Out of Danger until September
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

How are you trying to access the header? Are you using View/Header and
Footer? Are you trying to double-click the header area in the document? If
the latter then this method won't work if the header is empty. You can only
double-click to edit the header in Word 2002 if a header already contains
content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

wrote in message
On some of my documents, I cannot access the Headers or Footers section.
I'm in Print view and I want to add a header. I
cannot get into that part of the document! It's like I'm locked out.
There are not any headers in the document yet.
I'musing Word XP.

Lady Dungeness
Out of Danger until September
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Hi Beth - I've tried both methods. I've also found something new:

If I Insert PageNumber, then I can click on the text box holding the page number, and use the delete key to delete it, delete
the page number itself, and then delete again (looks like I'm deleting nothing), and then the header bounding box appears and
I'm inside the header and can use it normally from now on!

I have to do this for each document.

Is there an explanation?

On Sun, 25 May 2008 11:15:34 -0500, "Beth Melton" wrote:

How are you trying to access the header? Are you using View/Header and
Footer? Are you trying to double-click the header area in the document? If
the latter then this method won't work if the header is empty. You can only
double-click to edit the header in Word 2002 if a header already contains
content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

wrote in message
.. .
On some of my documents, I cannot access the Headers or Footers section.
I'm in Print view and I want to add a header. I
cannot get into that part of the document! It's like I'm locked out.
There are not any headers in the document yet.
I'musing Word XP.

Lady Dungeness
Out of Danger until September
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I've found that in Word 2003, if you delete the page number (which is in a
frame), the frame (not text box) is deleted as well. What you're
experiencing in Word 2002 is probably the issue I discuss in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm, where the
page number is deleted but the frame remains.

But you should be able to click outside the frame and enter text, and you
should be able to access the header via View | Header and Footer.

wrote:

How are you trying to access the header? Are you using View/Header and
Footer? Are you trying to double-click the header area in the document? If
the latter then this method won't work if the header is empty. You can
only
double-click to edit the header in Word 2002 if a header already contains
content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

wrote in message
. ..
On some of my documents, I cannot access the Headers or Footers section.
I'm in Print view and I want to add a header. I
cannot get into that part of the document! It's like I'm locked out.
There are not any headers in the document yet.
I'musing Word XP.

Lady Dungeness
Out of Danger until September

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Getting back on this issue
I've fiddled with it for a while now;
I can get my headers to work normally if I gfo into the Template. I do not see a page number in the header until I
delete and delete -- then the page number shows up, inside a little box. I delete that. Save the template. After that, I
can access my headers normally.

Maybe the invisible/visible page number is a remnant from inserting documents downloaded on the web?

I guess it's "fixed". Thanks for the ideas.