Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron Johnson Ron Johnson is offline

Default outline numbered list not auto-numbering

I have 2003 version of Word at work. I am trying to create an outline
numbered list with 3 levels. When I hit the enter button after typing the
text for an item, word does not seem to recognize that it should continue the
list. The next line just has normal formatting, and I'm forced to use the
format painter brush to copy a previous item from the list, and then Word
seems to recognize it as part of the list. I have verified the "Apply
Automatic Numbered Lists" is checked in the Tools/Autocorrect
Options/Autoformat as you type menu.

An observation about Word and Microsoft applications in general: I am not
really a "new" user of Word - I just feel like one every time I use it.
Despite sometimes poring over help menus for hours at a time trying to
resolve a problem, I often cannot figure it out. Word just seems to
consistently not do what I want it to do, and do what I don't want it to do.
I perceive myself as an intelligent person, but this application continues to
baffle me almost every time I try to use it. It needs to be more intuitive,
and I think the programmers need to anticipate problems users may have and
start developing applications the average user can actually use without
tearing their hair out. Does anyone else feel the same way about this
terribly designed application? Can I get some validation here?
--
Ron Johnson
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you are using the built-in heading styles for your outline, then you need
to work in Outline view for this to work. In all other views, the "Style for
following paragraph" (which is Normal for all the built-in heading styles)
takes over.

http://word.mvps.org

"Ron Johnson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

From your description, I suspect that you are creating an outline-numbered
list of headings? If so, note that the built-in headings, by default, have
"Normal" set as the "Style for following paragraph" which means that Word
applies Normal when you press Enter at the end of a heading paragraph. You
will have to modify each heading style. To do that for, say, Heading 1,
right-click the style name in the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) and choose
Modify from the context menu. You can then change "Style for following
paragraph" to "Heading 1" and click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

Quote:

I perceive myself as an intelligent person, but this application continues
baffle me almost every time I try to use it. It needs to be more
intuitive,
and I think the programmers need to anticipate problems users may have and
start developing applications the average user can actually use without
tearing their hair out.

Ron Johnson

Yes, indeed. "more intuitive" seems like a very good idea. To Microsoft as
well. They have and continue to undertake considerable research into what
can be done to make their software more intuitive. This effort includes a
'usability lab' where features are tested using both professional office
workers and ordinary Joes.

When doing that sort of thing, I am sure it soon becomes apparent that not
everyone's idea of 'intuitive' corresponds.

Well, OK. I digress. I didn't mean to write an defence of MS.

As other has suggested, you might find it easier to locate your thread if
you used a NNTP news reader.

Click on the link, and any such reader that is installed will be set up to
read this group. Additional configuration will be required if you want to
make or reply to posts.

NEWS://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof....word.newusers

Tom