Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Max

Default Headings and Page Numbers in the TOC, yo!

I just started a new job and inherited the updating of the "dreaded manual".

A few problems:
1. This company sometimes deletes a whole page from the manual because that
page is in regards to a specific client, which no longer needs to be included
in the manual. However, some of the deleted pages contain a heading which
needs to remain in the Table of Contents (TOC). Of course, when the page is
deleted it removes the Heading from the TOC. Is there another way to set
this up with the TOC, or should I be using a different tool?

2. They want certain headings to appear in the TOC, but not in the body of
the document. Any suggestions?

3. The page numbers in the text body are messed up. I have four Page 1's -
and it looks like each Page 1 is appearing after a Section Break (Next Page).
How do I fix that?

Any solutions?! -Max

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

I might be starting over with a decently formatted template. Automatic
numbering is fragile in Word. It breaks if you look at it wrong, much less
subject it to editing by a bunch of different people on different computers.
Building a new document based on style-based numbering will save you a lot
of time and grief in the long term. When done properly, it is as close to
bullet-proof as it comes. (Still not idiot-proof, though.)

See: How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Word
document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

This is based on ...

Word's Numbering Explained
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm

Additional information you may find useful or need is at:

How to Create a Template, Part II
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

On your TOC problem,
Try not deleting the page, but just the text you want deleted. Leave the
heading, perhaps as the start of the next page. Use page break before
formatting in your heading styles where appropriate. Do not use manual page
breaks.

After your TOC is generated, you can simply type additional stuff into it.
Just remember, it will disappear when you refresh the field. You can also
put TC fields in your document and have them appear.

Sections problem:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

--
Charles Kenyon