Flip

Default How to protect bookmarks

Hi all,
Using Bookmarks and Ref fields is a great mechanism. It's as if you are
writing at several different places at the same time!

My problem is that bookmarks are easy to delete:
Write some text, select it, make it a bookmark.
Next the text needs to be changed:
Someone may edit the text in the bookmark. In the process the bookmark gets
deleted.
If there are 10 fields referencing this bookmark in the document there now
are 10 errors!

So, I am looking for a way to prevent bookmark deletion. There is a lot of
other text in the document which needs to remain editable so I can't change
the document to a form.
Maybe if the 'source' text is in a table, then a macro can check for
bookmarks to be were I expect them and when gone, add them with te text
found in the table cell?
Or is there a better way? This is Word 2000.

Flip

GenesisBlade

I have a trick, if not an answer. If you place a space at the beginning and
end of the field and have the bookmark include both spaces then when the
middle text is changed, the bookmark still holds in the spaces.

How solid it is, i'm unsure, but it seems to work a treat!

Hope that helps.

"Flip" wrote:

[...]

Flip

Hi Graham,
Using a form was just what I wanted to avoid. No change in bookmark handling
with Word after version 2000 I presume?
Thanks anyway.
Flip

Graham Mayor schreef in berichtnieuws
Use an ASK field or better still a user form to collect the data.
Then there is no need to edit the bookmarked text directly.

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Flip wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor

I thought it was an on-line (protected) form that you wanted to avoid. There
is no difference with bookmarks after Word 2000. They are still vulnerable
to being overwritten during editing, which is why their direct application
is best avoided for documents that are edited.