Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chip Orange Chip Orange is offline

Default ToC built with TC fields has unexpected formatting

I have a TOC defined with \f \h \w \z switches, and no \*mergeformat. I
have TC fields throughout my document. I am intending to build my TOC from
TC entries only.

I am finding that whatever formatting is applied to the TC field, such as
bolding, is showing up in the TOC line for that entry. I definitely wasn't
expecting it to work this way.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Chip

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Any direct formatting applied to a heading that is included in a TOC is
picked up by the TOC entry, so I guess it's not surprising that TC fields
work the same way. This can be both an advantage and a disadvantage, of
course (if you want to italicize specific words in the entry, for example).

"Chip Orange" wrote in message
I have a TOC defined with \f \h \w \z switches, and no \*mergeformat. I
have TC fields throughout my document. I am intending to build my TOC

from
TC entries only.

I am finding that whatever formatting is applied to the TC field, such as
bolding, is showing up in the TOC line for that entry. I definitely

wasn't
expecting it to work this way.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Chip

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chip Orange Chip Orange is offline

It's surprising in that it's being done *without* the \*mergeformat switch,
which I thought was required to make this happen. In fact, I thought that
was the point of having this switch, so you could control whether it
happened or not?

Chip

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Any direct formatting applied to a heading that is included in a TOC is
picked up by the TOC entry, so I guess it's not surprising that TC fields
work the same way. This can be both an advantage and a disadvantage, of
course (if you want to italicize specific words in the entry, for
example).

so
all may benefit.

"Chip Orange" wrote in message
I have a TOC defined with \f \h \w \z switches, and no \*mergeformat. I
have TC fields throughout my document. I am intending to build my TOC

from
TC entries only.

I am finding that whatever formatting is applied to the TC field, such as
bolding, is showing up in the TOC line for that entry. I definitely

wasn't
expecting it to work this way.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Chip

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I don't see that switch as being relevant at all in this instance. TC and XE
fields differ in a number of ways from other fields.

"Chip Orange" wrote in message
It's surprising in that it's being done *without* the \*mergeformat

switch,
which I thought was required to make this happen. In fact, I thought that
was the point of having this switch, so you could control whether it
happened or not?

Chip

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Any direct formatting applied to a heading that is included in a TOC is
picked up by the TOC entry, so I guess it's not surprising that TC

fields
work the same way. This can be both an advantage and a disadvantage, of
course (if you want to italicize specific words in the entry, for
example).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.