jeffhughes jeffhughes is offline
Junior Member

Question converting rtf files to word

I have tried to convert the rtf files to my Microsoft word 2013 .doc file, but it is saved as an encoded rtf file. I originally typed them in word documents, then for some reason they were converted to rtf files and saved in a different encoded file like below. How can I convert it so that I can edit and turn in my work. There is also a window that pops up to file convert to make it readable and I have tried every one. I also tried saving it as a word document but the format was still like below. Help!

̘o0-&3Y/ x$ @Lu9t sd4 u-" # BWXLRbXiNJ/ Jkx`3Zd ~;ہ 1 * %*B
F qe ^&$$vTZ&r|w ]|((&.*#p`&럍%+Ypd4YIv
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default converting rtf files to word

If the document is in fact password-protected, you need the password to open
it.

On the other hand, if the document opens but displays only unreadable
symbols, it may be damaged. Another possibility is that the document wasn't
properly converted to another file format but that someone just changed the
filename extension. Changing it back should make it possible to open the
file again.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jeffhughes" wrote in message

I have tried to convert the rtf files to my Microsoft word 2013 .doc
file, but it is saved as an encoded rtf file. I originally typed them
in word documents, then for some reason they were converted to rtf files
and saved in a different encoded file like below. How can I convert it
so that I can edit and turn in my work. There is also a window that pops
up to file convert to make it readable and I have tried every one. I
also tried saving it as a word document but the format was still like
below. Help!

̘o0-&3Y/ x$ @Lu9t sd4 u-" #
BWXLRbXiNJ/ Jkx`3Zd ~;ہ 1 * %*B
F qe ^&$$vTZ&r|w ]|((&.*#p`&럍%+Ypd4YIv

--
jeffhughes

AlicePhoebe AlicePhoebe is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhughes View Post
I have tried to convert the rtf files to my Microsoft word 2013 .doc file, but it is saved as an encoded rtf file. I originally typed them in word documents, then for some reason they were converted to rtf files and saved in a different encoded file like below. How can I convert it so that I can edit and turn in my work. There is also a window that pops up to file convert to make it readable and I have tried every one. I also tried saving it as a word document but the format was still like below. Help!

̘o0-&3Y/ x$ @Lu9t sd4 u-" # BWXLRbXiNJ/ Jkx`3Zd ~;ہ 1 * %*B
F qe ^&$$vTZ&r|w ]|((&.*#p`&럍%+Ypd4YIv
Hope it can help you:
Open the file with Word.
You can either use Word to open the RTF file.
Or you can open Word first and then open the RTF file using the Open menu option.

Click File. Select "Save as" from the the File menu or tab. This will open the "Save as" dialog box.

Change the format. Click the dropdown menu labeled "Save as type" and select "Word Document" (for Word 2007-2013), or Word 97-2003 Document for compatibility with older versions.

Save the file. A copy of the file will be made as the Word format that you specified. The original will still be in the same location in the original RTF format.