Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maryliz maryliz is offline

Default Find and Replace Formatting

Can somebody help me find a safer way to remove all double underlining in a
document without removing the the words as well, which happened when I tried
it.

In the find box, I didn't put words; I just went to the font format dialog
box, chose double underline, and in the replace box, nothing. When I clicked
replace all, to my surprise, whole paragraphs were gone. What stupid move
did I make there?

You've made the word processing world a better place! Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

maryliz wrote:
Can somebody help me find a safer way to remove all double
underlining in a document without removing the the words as well,
which happened when I tried it.

In the find box, I didn't put words; I just went to the font format
dialog box, chose double underline, and in the replace box, nothing.
When I clicked replace all, to my surprise, whole paragraphs were
gone. What stupid move did I make there?

You've made the word processing world a better place! Thank you!

Starting over from the original... Do everything else the same, but in the
Replace With box, put in the code

^&

If you have trouble remembering that, first click the More button to expand
the dialog. Put the cursor in the Replace With box, then click the Special
button and choose "Find What Text". That will insert the same code in the
box.

The idea is that with this code, whatever text is matched by the formatting
of the Find What will be kept but its formatting will be replaced. When you
left the Replace With box empty, Word interpreted that as "replace the
matched text with nothing".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"maryliz" wrote:
Can somebody help me find a safer way to remove all double underlining in
document without removing the the words as well, which happened when I
tried
it.

In the find box, I didn't put words; I just went to the font format dialog
box, chose double underline, and in the replace box, nothing. When I
clicked
replace all, to my surprise, whole paragraphs were gone. What stupid move
did I make there?

You've made the word processing world a better place! Thank you!

Hi maryliz,

Put "Format Font no underline" in "Replace with" (...more quickly done
by hitting Ctrl+Shift+D twice).

Else as you found, if you have neither any text nor any formatting in
"Replace with", whatever you search for will be replaced by nothing.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maryliz maryliz is offline

Thanks so much, Jay! I feel as if you folks in this group are practically
family, because what you've written has helped me more than I can possibly
say to become a more capable word processor. Bless you!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

maryliz wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maryliz maryliz is offline

Klaus, this certainly isn't the first time your posts to this group have
helped me immensely, and it won't be the last. I thank you for every single
word!