Linda - Xtremly Peeved

Default Excel date format merging to Word XP version

We have recently swapped over to Windows XP and I am now having a problem
with merging to Word. I need to insert a pre-determined date which is
entered in excel as a dd/mm/yy (ie 03/03/05) raw data set to dddd, dd mmm
yyyy (ie Thursday, 03 March 2005) format in Excel to keep this format in
Word. In our old version this would merge over automatically keeping the day
month etc typed out but now with XP this formatting is being lost (showing as
ie 03/03/05 12:00AM). The formatting refers to the actual text rather than
just the font style.

Also numbers are having .0 added to the end after the merge. (ie 75 in
excel (cell format etc set to numbers with 0 decimal) is being merged to Word
as 75.0)
Any suggestions???

Linda - Xtremly Peeved

These are very helpful in nutting out a few other nightmares with XP (fun fun
fun) but I am unable to find anything on getting the date to come up in the
right format in Word after the merge or why the .0 is appearing. Very
AAggghhhhhhh

Linda - Xtremly Peeved wrote:
We have recently swapped over to Windows XP and I am now having a
problem with merging to Word. I need to insert a pre-determined date
which is entered in excel as a dd/mm/yy (ie 03/03/05) raw data set to
dddd, dd mmm yyyy (ie Thursday, 03 March 2005) format in Excel to
keep this format in Word. In our old version this would merge over
automatically keeping the day month etc typed out but now with XP
this formatting is being lost (showing as ie 03/03/05 12:00AM). The
formatting refers to the actual text rather than just the font style.

Also numbers are having .0 added to the end after the merge. (ie 75
in excel (cell format etc set to numbers with 0 decimal) is being
merged to Word as 75.0)
Any suggestions???

Graham Mayor

{Mergefield datefieldname \@ "dddd, d MMM yyyy"}

The decimal could be a tad more complicated

{ IF { Mergefield numberfieldname } = {=INT({ Mergefield
numberfieldname }) } "{ Mergefield numberfieldname \# "#" }" " { Mergefield
numberfieldname \# "#.##" }" }

Change the fieldnames as approipriate

Linda - Xtremly Peeved wrote:
We have recently swapped over to Windows XP and I am now having a
problem with merging to Word. I need to insert a pre-determined
date which is entered in excel as a dd/mm/yy (ie 03/03/05) raw data
set to dddd, dd mmm yyyy (ie Thursday, 03 March 2005) format in
Excel to
keep this format in Word. In our old version this would merge over
automatically keeping the day month etc typed out but now with XP
this formatting is being lost (showing as ie 03/03/05 12:00AM). The
formatting refers to the actual text rather than just the font
style.

Also numbers are having .0 added to the end after the merge. (ie 75
in excel (cell format etc set to numbers with 0 decimal) is being
merged to Word as 75.0)
Any suggestions???

jonh

Hello,

Did you get anywhere with the .0 problem? I have tried Graham's script but
no joy. The strange thing is that it merges fine on other PCs, but not this
one.

jonh

Linda - Xtremly Peeved wrote:
We have recently swapped over to Windows XP and I am now having a
problem with merging to Word. I need to insert a pre-determined date
which is entered in excel as a dd/mm/yy (ie 03/03/05) raw data set to
dddd, dd mmm yyyy (ie Thursday, 03 March 2005) format in Excel to
keep this format in Word. In our old version this would merge over
automatically keeping the day month etc typed out but now with XP
this formatting is being lost (showing as ie 03/03/05 12:00AM). The
formatting refers to the actual text rather than just the font style.

Also numbers are having .0 added to the end after the merge. (ie 75
in excel (cell format etc set to numbers with 0 decimal) is being
merged to Word as 75.0)
Any suggestions???

Graham Mayor

What result do you get when you use the conditional field?
It works here as shown.
I take it you inserted the fields manually with CTRL+F9 and that you have
the round brackets quotes and spaces as shown.

Linda - Xtremly Peeved wrote:
We have recently swapped over to Windows XP and I am now having a
problem with merging to Word. I need to insert a pre-determined
date which is entered in excel as a dd/mm/yy (ie 03/03/05) raw
data set to dddd, dd mmm yyyy (ie Thursday, 03 March 2005) format
in Excel to keep this format in Word. In our old version this
would merge over automatically keeping the day month etc typed out
but now with XP this formatting is being lost (showing as ie
03/03/05 12:00AM). The formatting refers to the actual text
rather than just the font style.

Also numbers are having .0 added to the end after the merge. (ie
75 in excel (cell format etc set to numbers with 0 decimal) is
being merged to Word as 75.0)
Any suggestions???

Linda - Xtremly Peeved

Thank you so much for all you help - The date one is now working wonders.
Still troubled over the decimal point though. I copied the formula to ensure
right setting then ctrl+F9 and posted into the doc and changed the
numberfieldname to be the column it corresponds with - but it is merging as
mergefield. I am obviously doing something wrong. Thanks again

Linda - Xtremly Peeved wrote:
We have recently swapped over to Windows XP and I am now having a
problem with merging to Word. I need to insert a pre-determined
date which is entered in excel as a dd/mm/yy (ie 03/03/05) raw
data set to dddd, dd mmm yyyy (ie Thursday, 03 March 2005) format
in Excel to keep this format in Word. In our old version this
would merge over automatically keeping the day month etc typed out
but now with XP this formatting is being lost (showing as ie
03/03/05 12:00AM). The formatting refers to the actual text
rather than just the font style.

Also numbers are having .0 added to the end after the merge. (ie
75 in excel (cell format etc set to numbers with 0 decimal) is
being merged to Word as 75.0)
Any suggestions???

Graham Mayor

If the mergefield construction appears in the merge result then it appears
that you have not inserted all the field delimiters with CTRL+F9. You cannot
copy and paste fields from listings and expect them to work. What *exactly*
have you inserted?

Linda - Xtremly Peeved wrote:
We have recently swapped over to Windows XP and I am now having a
problem with merging to Word. I need to insert a pre-determined
date which is entered in excel as a dd/mm/yy (ie 03/03/05) raw
data set to dddd, dd mmm yyyy (ie Thursday, 03 March 2005) format
in Excel to keep this format in Word. In our old version this
would merge over automatically keeping the day month etc typed
out but now with XP this formatting is being lost (showing as ie
03/03/05 12:00AM). The formatting refers to the actual text
rather than just the font style.

Also numbers are having .0 added to the end after the merge. (ie
75 in excel (cell format etc set to numbers with 0 decimal) is
being merged to Word as 75.0)
Any suggestions???

Linda - Xtremly Peeved

I did ctrl+F9 and then typed in IF { Mergefield PCODE } = {=INT({ Mergefield
PCODE }) } "{ Mergefield PCODE \# "#" }" " { Mergefield
PCODE \# "#.##" }" leaving a space between the automatically inserted { }
from the Ctrl+F9 and the typing

Sorry I sound so stupid
Thanks again

Linda - Xtremly Peeved wrote:
We have recently swapped over to Windows XP and I am now having a
problem with merging to Word. I need to insert a pre-determined
date which is entered in excel as a dd/mm/yy (ie 03/03/05) raw
data set to dddd, dd mmm yyyy (ie Thursday, 03 March 2005) format
in Excel to keep this format in Word. In our old version this
would merge over automatically keeping the day month etc typed
out but now with XP this formatting is being lost (showing as ie
03/03/05 12:00AM). The formatting refers to the actual text
rather than just the font style.

Also numbers are having .0 added to the end after the merge. (ie
75 in excel (cell format etc set to numbers with 0 decimal) is
being merged to Word as 75.0)
Any suggestions???

Graham Mayor

You need to type CTRL+F9 for *each* pair of curly brackets {} What you have
here is a collection of fields.
Thus CTRL+F9 then in between the brackets type IF then CTRL+F9 and in
between the second set type mergefield pcode etc.