Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wally Lawless Wally Lawless is offline

Default How to stop word for auto-inserting the date

When I open a document in Word 2007, if I type 2008 and hit enter it
automatically enters today's date in the format 2008-06-30 (for example).
How do I turn this off? I work with numbers a ton and this is very
frustrating.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alice Alice is offline

Wally,

Sounds like you have Language set to English (U.K.), and the automatic entry
of the date comes from AutoComplete in AutoText. Doubt this has changed in
Word 2007. Not sure where you go to turn it off in 2007 (I use Word 2003),
but there should be a dialog box for AutoText (in Word 2003 there is an Auto
Text toolbar that will open the dialog box) that has a checkbox for turning
off the AutoComplete feature (the ENTER key completes the AutoText entry and
inserts the date or phrase into your document). You could search for AutoText
or AutoComplete in your Help menu or search bar, or however you search in
Word 2007.
--
Alice.

"Wally Lawless" wrote:

When I open a document in Word 2007, if I type 2008 and hit enter it
automatically enters today's date in the format 2008-06-30 (for example).
How do I turn this off? I work with numbers a ton and this is very
frustrating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Run the following macro

Sub AComplete()
Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = False
End Sub

Change False to True if you even need to reverse the process