Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Penny Penny is offline

Default Problem with custom table styles

I am creating a template in Word 2007. The normal font is Garamond 11pt. I
have created a custom table style which uses Arial 8pt.

When I apply the custom style, it applies Garamond 11pt instead of Arial
8pt.

All other aspects of the custom style are applied correctly (bold, shading,
font colour) just not the actual font. I have tried setting every occurence
of "font" within the design as Arial 8pt but it will not work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ew ew is offline

I'm having the same problem. When I look at reveal formatting for my custom
table style, it says it's defaulting to 12 point, even though I keep trying
to set it to 10 point.

So I looked through all the template table styles to find something in 10
point and build from there, but they all seem to be defaulted to the 12 point.

"Penny" wrote:

I am creating a template in Word 2007. The normal font is Garamond 11pt. I
have created a custom table style which uses Arial 8pt.

When I apply the custom style, it applies Garamond 11pt instead of Arial
8pt.

All other aspects of the custom style are applied correctly (bold, shading,
font colour) just not the actual font. I have tried setting every occurence
of "font" within the design as Arial 8pt but it will not work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

According to an MS Word team blog, the trick to getting fonts specified in
table styles to hold when they are different from the text font is to
1. set the document text font and formatting on the default tab (styles pane
manage styles button default tab) and

2. leave normal style empty (that is, allow normal to take its font
formatting from the default style).

PamC

Penny wrote:
I am creating a template in Word 2007. The normal font is Garamond 11pt. I
have created a custom table style which uses Arial 8pt.

When I apply the custom style, it applies Garamond 11pt instead of Arial
8pt.

All other aspects of the custom style are applied correctly (bold, shading,
font colour) just not the actual font. I have tried setting every occurence
of "font" within the design as Arial 8pt but it will not work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"ew" wrote:
I'm having the same problem. When I look at reveal formatting for my
custom
table style, it says it's defaulting to 12 point, even though I keep
trying
to set it to 10 point.

So I looked through all the template table styles to find something in 10
point and build from there, but they all seem to be defaulted to the 12
point.

As Pam indicated, you've got to (re)set the Normal paragraph style to 10 pt,
else whatever font size is set in it will dominate over all table styles.

Regards,
Klaus