Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laurenced laurenced is offline

Default Create a TOC with paragraph numbers below the TOC entry?

Hello all

I am trying to create a TOC which has headings referring to the paragraph
numbers of the section below. Here's an example:

Header 1

1.1 Paragraph Text

1.2 Paragraph Text

1.3 Paragraph Text

Header 2

1.4 Paragraph Text

1.5 Paragraph Text

etc etc

I'd like the TOC to display as follows:

Header 1.....Paragraph 1.1.....Page 1
Header 2.....Paragraph 1.4.....Page 2
etc etc

Is this possible? I've been looking at the field codes for TOCs but I'm not
sure this is possible.

I'm using Word 2003.

Any help would be much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the numbered paragraphs have an outline level of 1-3, they will be
included automatically. See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

"laurenced" wrote in message
Hello all

I am trying to create a TOC which has headings referring to the paragraph
numbers of the section below. Here's an example:

Header 1

1.1 Paragraph Text

1.2 Paragraph Text

1.3 Paragraph Text

Header 2

1.4 Paragraph Text

1.5 Paragraph Text

etc etc

I'd like the TOC to display as follows:

Header 1.....Paragraph 1.1.....Page 1
Header 2.....Paragraph 1.4.....Page 2
etc etc

Is this possible? I've been looking at the field codes for TOCs but I'm
not
sure this is possible.

I'm using Word 2003.

Any help would be much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laurenced laurenced is offline

Thanks for the reply.

The Outline Levels checkbox in the Table of Contents options dialogue is
greyed out. I have defined my own styles for the headers, that seems to be
part of the issue since the checkbox only greys when I change from the
default selections, all of which have the standard 'Heading 1/2/3' text.

"laurenced" wrote in message
Hello all

I am trying to create a TOC which has headings referring to the paragraph
numbers of the section below. Here's an example:

Header 1

1.1 Paragraph Text

1.2 Paragraph Text

1.3 Paragraph Text

Header 2

1.4 Paragraph Text

1.5 Paragraph Text

etc etc

I'd like the TOC to display as follows:

Header 1.....Paragraph 1.1.....Page 1
Header 2.....Paragraph 1.4.....Page 2
etc etc

Is this possible? I've been looking at the field codes for TOCs but I'm
not
sure this is possible.

I'm using Word 2003.

Any help would be much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You do know you can assign an outline level to any style in the TOC Options
dialog? For this to work, of course, you have to have used a particular
style for those numbered paragraphs and not just applied outline numbering
to Normal or something.

"laurenced" wrote in message
Hello all

I am trying to create a TOC which has headings referring to the
paragraph
numbers of the section below. Here's an example:

Header 1

1.1 Paragraph Text

1.2 Paragraph Text

1.3 Paragraph Text

Header 2

1.4 Paragraph Text

1.5 Paragraph Text

etc etc

I'd like the TOC to display as follows:

Header 1.....Paragraph 1.1.....Page 1
Header 2.....Paragraph 1.4.....Page 2
etc etc

Is this possible? I've been looking at the field codes for TOCs but I'm
not
sure this is possible.

I'm using Word 2003.

Any help would be much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laurenced laurenced is offline

Sorry for being obtuse, I'm new to TOCs in Word.

I have two main styles, one called 'First header' which is applied to my
headers, and one called 'Heading 2,Paragraph numbering (1.1)' (Word insisted
on putting the 'Heading 2' at the start of the style name, I don't know why)

In Outline view, my 'First header'-styled headings are Level 4. My
paragraphs are Level 2. I didn't set either of these options.

On that basis, how do I create a TOC as I described in my top post?
Obviously I don't want the content of the paragraphs repeated in the TOC,
just their paragraph numbers.

Your help is very much appreciated

"laurenced" wrote in message
Hello all

I am trying to create a TOC which has headings referring to the
paragraph
numbers of the section below. Here's an example:

Header 1

1.1 Paragraph Text

1.2 Paragraph Text

1.3 Paragraph Text

Header 2

1.4 Paragraph Text

1.5 Paragraph Text

etc etc

I'd like the TOC to display as follows:

Header 1.....Paragraph 1.1.....Page 1
Header 2.....Paragraph 1.4.....Page 2
etc etc

Is this possible? I've been looking at the field codes for TOCs but I'm
not
sure this is possible.

I'm using Word 2003.

Any help would be much appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to get control of your styles. For a start, I would suggest that
you set up a proper outline numbered list (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html, starting
with the number format that shows 1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, and so on. If
you don't want this type numbering on Heading 1, you can modify it, but it
will need to include numbering in some way (even if Hidden) for Heading 2 to
pick up.

Then apply Heading 1 to your headings (not headers, that's something
different) and Heading 2 to your numbered paragraphs. You can modify these
styles to look the way you want. Once you've done that, your TOC will take
care of itself.

Alternatively, modify First Header to be Level 1 (Modify Style | Paragraph).
But you're still going to have trouble with the numbered paragraphs because
you have evidently managed to modify Heading 2 by just adding an alias to
it, and Word is going to continue to see it as Heading 2. If you want to
include just part of a paragraph, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm (but note that this may
make the numbering disappear in the TOC).

A third approach is to use TC fields. But by far the easiest approach in the
long run is to use the built-in heading styles as they were meant to be used
(see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ngStyles.html).

news