Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
g_1 g_1 is offline

Default importing table contents from Word 2007 into Access 2007 andgenerating queries, reports using Access 2007

I have 50 word documents in Word 2007 format. The data in the word
files is in a table of two columns and 10 rows consisting of
paragraphs which is basically a report how a unit in our company has
done for a given year for various parameters. I have such documents
for the past three years so I have 150 such word documents.

I have to analyze how each unit has progressed from the past year and
be able to generate a graph and some queries for that.

I will clarify with an example. I have a MS-Word 2007 File1.docx. It
has data in a table having 2 columns and 10 rows

First row of table(the text "First row of table" is not present in
the file)

Column 1 of table(the text "Column 1 of table" is not present in the
file)
Staff Turnover, Reasons for it

Column 2 of table(this text "Column 2 of table " is not present in
the file)

It is nearly 3% for
this year 2006. It occurred due to difference in pay
and how we can avoid it they were offered
here and other positions they found, less upscale
movement
and career growth. We will provide more training classes for
them to retain them and so on.

Similarly, Second row

Third row

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is no doubt that it is possible to write some code that would iterate
through all of the documents in a folder and extract the information from
tables in those documents and insert it into a table in an Access database.

Whether you can create the necessary code yourself would depend upon your
knowledge of VBA. However, you will find some information that may help you
get started at

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Extract_Form_Data.htm

and possibly

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Extract_Document_Data.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
"g_1" wrote in message
[...]

.
.
.
.
.
Tenth row

I have such 50 files for each unit for this year, previous year and
the year before that.

Is there a way in Access 2007 which allows you to import 3 text files
(converted from Word 2007 by doing save and choosing the option Save
as plain text) for three different years for one unit, convert their
data(which is in a paragraph format as indicated above) to some
graphical format(like pie chart) and provide the ability to run some
queries on them like which unit had maximum(or minimum) revenue, staff
turn over, operating costs?

In my above example, I would want to see, what is the average staff
turn over for the years 2006, 2007, 2008 by running a query?

I realize it might be difficult since there are few numbers and lot of
data is in sentence format.

I also would want to see some graph format showing the turn over rate
by year.

Is there a method for doing this for all multiple units(50 in my case)
at once? That way, I can query staff turn over rate for 2006 which
would list the turn over rate for all units for that year?

Do I need to convert the data into some format first which Access can
use to create a temporary table which can be used to create the graphs
and run queries on?

I posted the above query in microsoft.public.access
at
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...cd64658?hl=en#
, got some
so am posting here.

Can someone please clarify if this can be done? Are there other
options using which might be easier to achieve what I am trying to do?

Thanks a lot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
g_1 g_1 is offline

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
There is no doubt that it is possible to write some code that would iterate
through all of the documents in a folder and extract the information from
tables in those documents and insert it into a table in an Access database.

Whether you can create the necessary code yourself would depend upon your
knowledge of VBA. However, you will find some information that may help you
get started at

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Extract_Form_Data.htm

and possibly

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Extract_Document_Data.htm

--
Hope this helps,

The link is really helpful. But, is there any other way, I can just
save the Word 2007 files as some format and then import them
into Access 2007. I have not used VBA before and the short time
constraint does not allow me to learn it for this task.

What sort of formats does Word 2007 support which can be
imported properly in Access 2007. I tried Open Xml which did
not work.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
"g_1" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try copying each table and pasting it into Excel. You should then be able
to copy the information from Excel and Paste it into Access as a table.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
"g_1" wrote in message
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
[...]

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on
a paid professional basis.