jason

Default square boxes

hi ,

i saved word documents and transfered them onto my other laptop. when i
opened them i get tiny squares all over the page and no letters.

I have tried nearly everything to get my documents back, how can i do it
please.

my old laptop is now reformatted and wont open on that either.

Thankyou
noctilucus

Those boxes are usually displayed when certain symbols or fonts aren't
recognized.

1) The documents are in a rather special font, which isn't installed on the
new laptop, and have of course disappeared after formatting the old one. Try
changing the font.

2) Have you tried opening the documents in Wordpad (or even notepad) to see
whether these will display the original text?

i saved word documents and transfered them onto my other laptop. when i
opened them i get tiny squares all over the page and no letters.

I have tried nearly everything to get my documents back, how can i do it
please.

my old laptop is now reformatted and wont open on that either.

Thankyou

macropod

Hi Jason,

It sounds as if:
A) you're opening the files in Word's 'recover text' mode. Check File|Open
and make sure that the 'All Word documents' option in the 'Files of type'
tab is active;
B) you're opening the files with a text editor rather than Word. If so, use
Word or Wordpad; or
C) you saved the files with a '.txt' extension. If so, try changing the file
extension back to '.doc'.

Cheers

"jason" wrote in message
hi ,

i saved word documents and transfered them onto my other laptop. when i
opened them i get tiny squares all over the page and no letters.

I have tried nearly everything to get my documents back, how can i do it
please.

my old laptop is now reformatted and wont open on that either.

Thankyou

jason

Hi Macropod,

Thankyou for the reply. I have office 2003 teacher and student edition,
where as i think the other office on my other pute was 2000, could that be
the problem? i downloaded some codes etc but i think they were only for upto
2000-2003 but not teacher student edition. Please i have some questions and
answers to your post in order of your replies if you dont mind having a look
at?

1. I dont have "All word documents" in my files type menu bar just word
documents. i opened it in that format and still got the little squares.

2. Im not sure what you mean by openening it in text editor however i have
tried opening it in wordpad and notepad but to no joy. How do i open it in
text editor to try the notepad or word pad please?

3. I dont mean to sound vacant but i have'nt got a clue what you mean by i
could of saved files in ".txt" extension, if that is to be the case how can i
check to see if it has been saved in that extension and also change it back
to ".doc". Im sorry for asking these questions, i appreciate your help.

It would mean alot if i could get these docs back as i am currently serving
in Baghdad and the documents are very important to us out here. There is a
crate of beer in it for you if i can get these back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean
that too.

thanks macropod

Kind regards

Jason

p.s my email is

"jason" wrote:

hi ,

i saved word documents and transfered them onto my other laptop. when i
opened them i get tiny squares all over the page and no letters.

I have tried nearly everything to get my documents back, how can i do it
please.

my old laptop is now reformatted and wont open on that either.

Thankyou

New Text Boxes Are Self Typing Same Contents in a Previous Text B. Ian Dean Microsoft Word Help 2 March 23rd 05 09:21 AM
text boxes KK New Users 1 March 17th 05 11:11 PM
Text boxes in Word Bunger Microsoft Word Help 7 February 14th 05 06:47 PM
I need to create a calendar with boxes around the dates caller Microsoft Word Help 1 January 9th 05 06:29 AM
Excel worksheet in Word linked text boxes Eduardo Oliveira Page Layout 0 January 6th 05 12:23 AM