greenhorn

Default How do i set default line spacing in a word document%3f

I keep trying to set my default line spacing to 1.5 lines instead of
'single', but Word keeps changing it back to 'single'. How do establish a
default line spacing that will stick? Also, how do I get Word to stop
changing mu lower case letter to an upper case letter? AS a teacher, when I
prepare word lists I don't want the first word to be capitalized.
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 22 May 2005 14:40:03 -0700, greenhorn
wrote:

I keep trying to set my default line spacing to 1.5 lines instead of
'single', but Word keeps changing it back to 'single'. How do establish a
default line spacing that will stick? Also, how do I get Word to stop
changing mu lower case letter to an upper case letter? AS a teacher, when I
prepare word lists I don't want the first word to be capitalized.

For the spacing, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...alTemplate.htm.
Pay attention, though, to the argument against changing settings in
the Normal style of the Normal.dot template -- many other styles
depend on that style, and you probably don't want all of them to
change to 1.5 line spacing. Instead, you can define or modify another
style -- such as Body Text -- and apply that style to the text you
want to affect.

The change of case for the first letter of a new paragraph is caused
by the "Capitalize first letter of sentences" option in Tools
AutoCorrect Options.See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...AutoFormat.htm for more
information.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Even though there's no visible text in normal.dot (in fact, there shouldn't
be anything visible), there are still styles in the Format Style dialog
(or task pane, depending on your version of Word). There is also one "empty"
paragraph mark, which you can see when you click the ¶ button on the
toolbar. Modify a style such as Body Text, and apply that style to the empty
paragraph by selecting its name in the style dropdown or in the task pane.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

greenhorn

Jay,
Although the instructions were very unclear (I still don't know what Body
Text is or where to find it) You did give me enough to figure out what to do.
Why does Microsoft make such a basic function like setting defaults so hard
to access, and no help at all from the Help function? (Just try entering
'How can I change the line spacing default? and you'll see what i mean. They
don't even know there's such a thing as line spacing!) Thanks, though, for
your help.
Greenhorn