giarc69nu

Default ' replaced by =

On specific machines in our network Word replaces the ' mark with and = sign,
but when you bring up the same document up on another machine it leaves the '
in the text. What is the cause?

Most likely the machines where it is not replaced have the WP Typographic
Symbol font installed. Most likely these are converted WordPerfect docs, in
which characters from this font have been used instead of the quotes in the
base font. The only way to fix this is to search for these characters and
replace them with the correct ones.

"giarc69nu" wrote in message
On specific machines in our network Word replaces the ' mark with and =

sign,
but when you bring up the same document up on another machine it leaves

the '
in the text. What is the cause?

M. DiCanio

I have the same problem. It happened because we converted from Word Perfect
to Word. My solution for this was to install the WP Typographic Symbol font.
I did this by taking the file named wphv04n_.ttf and dropping it in the
c:\Windows\fonts folder. I obtained the mentioned .ttf file from an install
of Word Perfect 6.1.

"giarc69nu" wrote in message
On specific machines in our network Word replaces the ' mark with and =

sign,
but when you bring up the same document up on another machine it leaves

the '
in the text. What is the cause?

This just shifts the problem onto anyone else who may have to deal with the
file. It would be better to face it squarely and replace the symbol
characters with the corresponding Unicode ones.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Most likely the machines where it is not replaced have the WP

Typographic
Symbol font installed. Most likely these are converted WordPerfect docs,

in
which characters from this font have been used instead of the quotes in

the
base font. The only way to fix this is to search for these characters

and
replace them with the correct ones.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org