LurfysMa

Default Is there a way to move a column and keep the width the same?

I often need to rearrange the columns in a table. If I select a column
and drag it to another place, it assumed the width of one of the
adjacant columns.

Is there a way to move it without the width changing?

I have tried Shift-drag, Alt-drag, Ctrl-drag, etc...

Thanks

katin42

It might be easier to set the columns at equal widths, during the initial set
up and designing process. Is this for a chart? Are there horizontal lines as
well? Someone else might be able to help if we new what program, component,
and version is used to design the columns.

"LurfysMa" wrote:

I often need to rearrange the columns in a table. If I select a column
and drag it to another place, it assumed the width of one of the
adjacant columns.

Is there a way to move it without the width changing?

I have tried Shift-drag, Alt-drag, Ctrl-drag, etc...

Thanks

LurfysMa

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:01:03 -0700, "katin42"
wrote:

It might be easier to set the columns at equal widths, during the initial set
up and designing process.

This is not during the initial table design. In many cases I have been
using the table for some time and have the column widths the way I
want them. I just want to reorder them with no other changes.

Is this for a chart? Are there horizontal lines as
well? Someone else might be able to help if we new what program, component,
and version is used to design the columns.

I am using Word 2000.

"LurfysMa" wrote:

I often need to rearrange the columns in a table. If I select a column
and drag it to another place, it assumed the width of one of the
adjacant columns.

Is there a way to move it without the width changing?

I have tried Shift-drag, Alt-drag, Ctrl-drag, etc...

Thanks

Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Win 2000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
katin42

The end result from dragging might be responding to what is allowed with the
Tab and Margins settings, if these adjustments were altered. Decreasing your
margins, to create more space on the form, might take care of the problem.
It sounds like a function by default, and not any kind error on your part. If
you don't want to risk losing what you already have, duplicate this file, and
keep draging and tweeking, to see if it lines up the way you wanted. Wish I
had more to offer. Sorry. : (

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi LurfysMa,

I often need to rearrange the columns in a table. If I select a column
and drag it to another place, it assumed the width of one of the
adjacant columns.

Is there a way to move it without the width changing?

I have tried Shift-drag, Alt-drag, Ctrl-drag, etc...

Don't I wish sigh I haven't been able to find a way to force this,
either. Although if it's a "simple" table, I might take it into Excel to
make the changes, then move it back into Word.

Beyond that, I can imagine a macro solution could be useful (although
I've never been annoyed enough by the problem to sit down and create
one).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

LurfysMa

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:06:20 +0200, Cindy M -WordMVP-
wrote:

Hi LurfysMa,

I often need to rearrange the columns in a table. If I select a column
and drag it to another place, it assumed the width of one of the
adjacant columns.

Is there a way to move it without the width changing?

I have tried Shift-drag, Alt-drag, Ctrl-drag, etc...

Don't I wish sigh I haven't been able to find a way to force this,
either. Although if it's a "simple" table, I might take it into Excel to
make the changes, then move it back into Word.

Beyond that, I can imagine a macro solution could be useful (although
I've never been annoyed enough by the problem to sit down and create
one).

OK, thanks.

At least I know that it's a real problem -- not just me. ;-)

This seems like a no-brainer. I would think that 99% of the time the
desired result would be fopr the column to retain its width.

Can't you MVPs submit a fix request? This is surely broken.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi LurfysMa,

Can't you MVPs submit a fix request? This is surely broken.

If you go to microsoft.com and look for the newsgroup
interface you can submit a message as a "suggestion". (You'll
need
to use Passport) And then we can all vote for it :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun
8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)