Jason Langkamer-Smith

Default Resources for Long Document Management

I am taking on a project to edit and publish a long document in Word. It
consists of two dozen Word files comprising about 1,000 pages.

Can you recommend books, articles, magazines, etc., to help?

Thanks,

Jason

You might have a look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm. There are
quite a few other articles at the Word MVP site that deal with long-document
issues such as footnotes, sections, outline view, page numbering, TOCs, etc.
There is also a Word newsgroup devoted to long documents
(microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs).

"Jason Langkamer-Smith" .(donotspam) wrote in message
I am taking on a project to edit and publish a long document in Word. It
consists of two dozen Word files comprising about 1,000 pages.

Can you recommend books, articles, magazines, etc., to help?

Thanks,

Jason

Daiya Mitchell

Some of the other articles (since I have them compiled, at least some):

***Styles & Templates***

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm (very basic)

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...singOLView.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

***Other Useful Links***

http://home.zebra.net/~sbarnhill/AutoCorrect.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/CreateIndex.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...OnDiffPage.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/BottomLine.htm

http://home.zebra.net/~sbarnhill/index.htm

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

***Master Documents***

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson on how to make Master Documents work safely:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Here's my "Long Documents" list: g

How to save yourself hours by using Outline View properly
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm

Working with sections
Or: Why Word appears to behave so illogically when you delete or move a
section break
Or: How to preserve section formatting when pasting between documents
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

How is it possible to copy an entire document into another document without
bringing across the header and footer?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...ectionInfo.htm

How can I create a landscape section and still have a portrait page number?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...apeSection.htm

How to set up a document with front matter numbered separately
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Improving the Bottom Line: Toward a more uniform page length
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/BottomLine.htm

Why do my footnotes sometimes end up on a different page from their
references in the text?
Or: I don't want my footnotes broken and continued on the next page; I want
the whole footnote on the same page. How do I do that?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...OnDiffPage.htm

I have a footnote reference in a column, and I want the footnote to span
both columns. Is this possible?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...panColumns.htm

I want the numbers in my footnotes not to be superscripted, and I want the
numbers to be followed by a dot and a tab

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...scptFnotes.htm

How to create a table of contents in Microsoft Word
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

Microsoft TOC Training Course for Word 2003 only (Part 1)
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC011356771033

TOC Training Course Part 2
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC011525811033

Customizing your table of contents with switches
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

How can I include just part of a paragraph in my table of contents?
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/RunInSidehead.htm

Whenever I update my Table of Contents it acquires unwanted tabs, and I have
to press Ctrl+Q to get rid of them
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

How can I automatically generate an index in Word?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/CreateIndex.htm

How to create a glossary
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/glossary/glossary.html

Word 2002 Legal Users Guide

How does Track Changes in Microsoft Word work?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Joseph N.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:25:03 GMT, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Here's my "Long Documents" list

Suzanne, you've compiled a great Word resource list!

--
JN

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "

Joseph N.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:25:03 GMT, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

How can I create a landscape section and still have a portrait
page number?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...apeSection.htm

I consulted this page, and have a couple of questions about it all:

1. Why is a frame needed around the table? At least in Word 2002, why not just a table? I read the part about text wrapping involving an invisible frame, but, if the point is just a page number with limited text, then why would wrapping even be necessary? I tested this by simply drawing a table, changing the text orientation, and inserting a PAGE field. Worked fine. What's missing?

2. What does holding down ALT do when repositioning a frame?

--
JN

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "

This article was written some time ago (May 2001), by three authors
collaborating, so I may not be able to come up with our exact reasoning on
this.* I suspect, however, that the idea might have been backward
compatibility. If you wrap a table in Word 2000 or above and open the
document in Word 97 or earlier, the table appears in a frame (you can't wrap
tables in Word 97 and earlier). Furthermore, it is not always obvious that
tables are wrapped; putting them in a frame gives them a hashed border that
makes this quite evident. These are just guesses, though, and it's possible
that the idea of wrapped tables was so new that we just didn't think of it
(much as many users put graphics in text boxes in order to "float" them,
even though you can now wrap graphics themselves); I know I was still
working in Word 97 at the time, so it wouldn't have occurred to me.

As for Alt, dragging a wrapped object with Alt pressed overrides the grid
and allows you to place it more exactly.

*I've looked at the correspondence that went back and forth when this
article was being developed (several dozen exchanges), and I find the
following (from me to Bill Coan): "Dave was convinced that a table in a
frame was far superior to a text box (you can't use StyleRef fields in a
text box, for one thing), and so he and I worked out the procedure for that
and added it." In fact, Dave's original suggestion was a frame instead of a
text box, and then he remembered that this wouldn't support text direction
(though in fact we later found that it does--another big surprise) so added
the table idea. At any rate, here's what I wrote about the table concept:

"Although Q162235 does describe a Table Method, it does not use a frame. It
instead uses Draw Table to draw a table in the margin, which is an
interesting concept for Word 97 (since it predates the floating tables of
Word 2000). This is indeed a very interesting method, but it's so weird that
I wonder about stability. It starts by entering a negative value for the top
margin, which extends the header to cover the whole page, down to the top of
the footer, so that the table in the margin is nominally in the header
(though there's no anchor), yet the document area remains unchanged. Wild!"

There was a lot of back-and-forth discussion, and this was one of my replies
to Dave:

"But if you draw the table, you can put it anywhere, and this is not
reflected in the table properties AFAICS. For example, I made a table that
was aligned the same way I had the text box--between the top and bottom
margins.

I think let's not try to address the table-in-margin idea EXCEPT using a
frame. Somewhere in the article, have a reference to the fact that tables
can be used, with a link to the KB article. Anyone who wants to explore that
further can find the step-by-step instructions there, as we did.

As for creating the table and then inserting the frame, you come back to
Start, where you have to use Draw Table to get a table in the margin to
begin with (unless you want to give step-by-step instructions on how to
create the damn thing using the table properties; or maybe you were thinking
of creating it in the header and then moving it?). I have essentially zero
experience with Draw Table (I've dealt with some users who got into deep
doo-doo very quickly using it), so I guess this just doesn't come as
naturally to me as a text box (though I find even those hard to deal with).
If you WERE creating the table in the header, framing it, and then moving
it, the problem is that the header becomes practically page depth, which
would be pretty scary to the newbies we're trying to target. Or do you
create a LITTLE table, frame it, move it, and THEN set the properties for
the exact cell height and width?"

There was considerable more discussion of this, but in the end the decision
was made to omit in-depth discussion of unframed tables.

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "

Jason Langkamer-Smith

Thank you for all the resources! They have already helped!

Jason

"Jason Langkamer-Smith" wrote:

I am taking on a project to edit and publish a long document in Word. It
consists of two dozen Word files comprising about 1,000 pages.

Can you recommend books, articles, magazines, etc., to help?

Thanks,

Jason

Joseph N.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:24:45 GMT, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

*I've looked at the correspondence that went back and forth when
this article was being developed (several dozen exchanges), and
I find the following

Suzanne, I think that if I study your excerpts carefully enough and
grasp the actual content of your e-mail exchange, I will have
reached the Next-Stage-of-Deep-Word-Understanding. It's worth a
try. Thanks much for answering with that much detail.

--
JN

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "

Glad to oblige! I'm the worst packrat of the Word MVPs. I have saved
(barring a few unaccountably lost by mishap) every email (and NG post) I've
ever sent (since 1997)and most of those I've received in reply, and luckily
Outlook Express's Find utility works pretty well. Bill Coan has appointed me
his official archivist!

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "