Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jyan

Default Form Letter Mail Merge using field code: {Database}

I have a mailing list that I setting up (just like you would for a invoice
with many detail items). I've set up a mail merge with the field codes for
the customer and set up the table using the field code {database}. I
understand that it will insert a table into the mail merge. I was successful
in setting up the main document & performing the merge but I cannot find
anywhere, if the table {database} can spans more than 1 page. Some of the
customers may have an invoice that could have details records going on
multiple pages. I've notice that it will only print/display the first page
and carry on with the next customer.

Is there another way of doing this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?anlhbg==?=,

I have a mailing list that I setting up (just like you would for a invoice
with many detail items). I've set up a mail merge with the field codes for
the customer and set up the table using the field code {database}. I
understand that it will insert a table into the mail merge. I was successful
in setting up the main document & performing the merge but I cannot find
anywhere, if the table {database} can spans more than 1 page. Some of the
customers may have an invoice that could have details records going on
multiple pages. I've notice that it will only print/display the first page
and carry on with the next customer.

A DATABASE field should automatically break to another page if it reaches the
end of the page. Have you inserted text etc. into something like a frame?

If you start in a new document, do things behave differently?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janet

Hi:

I should clarify. I followed the example that was posted up on the web
"Group multiple items for a single condition" on Leigh Weber's website. I
followed the instructions when I inserted the database field and didn't have
any problems fixing the sql to put a condition break.

I did try your suggestions bu merging into a new document and I get the same
results. Not all items are listed in the table.

By using the database field (is there a limitation?), will the table not
span mulitple pages. For example, I have a customers. He has 50 items. If
not all items fit on the first page, will it not continue on the next page?
and then break once the condition is satisified in the sql?

Below is my code. Any help on this would be appreciated.

{ MERGEFIELD APPROVAL_HOLDER }
{ MERGEFIELD COMPANY_NAME }
{ MERGEFIELD BUILDING_NAME }
{ MERGEFIELD DELIVERY_ADDRESS }
{ MERGEFIELD MUNICIPALITY }, {MERGEFIELD PROVINCE_CODE}
{ MERGEFIELD POSTAL_CODE }

{ DATABASE \d "H:\\wur UAT Testing\\WUR EMSP Access Mailout\\WUR EMSP.mdb"
\c "DSN=MailMerge;DBQ=H:\\wur UAT Testing\\WUR EMSP Access Mailout\\WUR
EMSP.mdb;DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;" \s
"SELECT `APV_ID` as `LICENCE NO`, `MANUAL_APV_NUMBER` as `INTERIM LICENCE
NO`, `SOURCE`, `LOCATION`, `DISTRICT` FROM `tWURAddressesLocation` WHERE
`approval holder` = '{ MERGEFIELD APPROVAL_HOLDER }'" \t "15" \l "23" \b
"191" \h }

Otherwise, I think it works great, but not great if not all items will not
be display for a customer.

Janet

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?anlhbg==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SmFuZXQ=?=,

In my experience, it should work (break to another page). As a matter of fact,
I was just at a customer where we have this set up and it DID work.

If you view the merge results (the ABC button in the mail merge toolbar), then
move to a record that you know has too many records to fit on one page. Select
the Database field and press F9 to force the update (this is all still in the
main merge document), does the table break to another page? Or does it still
stop at the end of the page?

If you click in the table, do you see any kind of box around it? If you check
in Table/Table Properties is it formatted with any textflow / wrap?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janet

Hi Cindy:

I've tried your suggestions below and nothing works. I display the records
that has the many records and press F9 to force the update and the table does
not break to another page. It stops at the end of the page.

I did click in the table to view the table properties. I could not find
anything regarding textflow/wrap. There is a row wrap which is already check
on.

By the way, I'm using Access 2000 & Word 2000. Should I try and re-create
the main document merge?

Thank your for your help.

Janet

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SmFuZXQ=?=,

I've tried your suggestions below and nothing works. I display the records
that has the many records and press F9 to force the update and the table does
not break to another page. It stops at the end of the page.

I did click in the table to view the table properties. I could not find
anything regarding textflow/wrap. There is a row wrap which is already check
on.

By the way, I'm using Access 2000 & Word 2000. Should I try and re-create
the main document merge?

Word 2000, hmmm. Nothing occurs to me right off-hand.

One other thing, quickly, before you test in a new document:

If you remove the table (field) and type a lot of text (copy/paste will do),
does that break to another page? (Just want to make sure it's only the table,
and not something else).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janet

Hi Cindy:

I think I know what the problems is ... its my sql statement in the Database
field. I modified it to include the "Where" clause.

I notice that I put a quote (') around the Merge field code '{ MERGEFIELD
APPROVAL_HOLDER }' and the sql doesn't know what I want. My problem now is I
don't know how to reference the {MERGEFIELD APPROVAL_HOLDER}.

I notice when I insert the "Database field" that it put (`) around the
fields. I tried this for the merge field and now I get "Unable to open
datasource".

What am I doing wrong? Merge Code is below

Thank you for your help.

Janet

{ MERGEFIELD APPROVAL_HOLDER }
{ MERGEFIELD COMPANY_NAME }
{ MERGEFIELD BUILDING_NAME }
{ MERGEFIELD DELIVERY_ADDRESS }
{ MERGEFIELD MUNICIPALITY }, {MERGEFIELD PROVINCE_CODE}
{ MERGEFIELD POSTAL_CODE }

{ DATABASE \d "H:\\wur UAT Testing\\WUR EMSP Access Mailout\\WUR EMSP.mdb"
\c "DSN=MailMerge;DBQ=H:\\wur UAT Testing\\WUR EMSP Access Mailout\\WUR
EMSP.mdb;DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;" \s
"SELECT `APV_ID` as `LICENCE NO`, `MANUAL_APV_NUMBER` as `INTERIM LICENCE
NO`, `SOURCE`, `LOCATION`, `DISTRICT` FROM `tWURAddressesLocation` WHERE
`approval holder` = '{ MERGEFIELD APPROVAL_HOLDER }'" \t "15" \l "23" \b
"191" \h }

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SmFuZXQ=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janet

Hi Cindy,

I wanted to let you know I solved my problem. I recreated the "Insert
Database" portion again in my merge main document.

What I wasn't doing right is when I get to the "Insert Data" Screen. I had
Insert Records set to "All" but I did not check the box "Insert data as
field" As soon as I did this, all the records shows up on the table.

I think if there was more information & examples regarding how to use the
"Insert Database" field, I would have been able to resolve my problem earlier.

I would like to thank you for your help.

Janet

"Janet" wrote:

[...]

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SmFuZXQ=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Janet,

Glad you got it solved :-) This field is rather obscure, and somewhat difficult
to use. I imagine there's not a high demand, so no priority is put on
documenting it...