suska

Default Make footnotes span 2 columns?

I've got a 2-column, one-page doc (newspaper cols, not tables). In the text,
I have footnotes. I want the footnotes to span both columns across the bottom
of the page. They are cramming up at the bottom of the right column instead.
I tried inserting a continuous section break at the end of my text. This did
not fix it. Any ideas?

HansJ

So there is no real solution to this problem in Word? Is the conclusion that
for purposes of this kind one should use a layout program like Publisher?
Do you know if it is under consideration to include such a feature in future
versions of Word?
Best wishes,
HansJ

HansJ

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you looked at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...anColumns.htm?

Yes, I have. That method only applies to a very special case, and
furthermore it is cumbersome and artificial. I guess we have to face the
facts: Word is lacking a useful feature here.
Best wishes,
HansJ

HansJ

By the way: Your method does not work in Word 2003. If there is one section
with one column followed by one with two on the same page, trying to insert a
footnote in the first section will produce a page break.

Is there any way to contact Microsoft to let them know that footnotes
spanning two columns would be a nice feature in future versions of Word?

Best wishes,
HansJ

While it is true that this doesn't work if you insert a footnote in a
single-column section *before* the multi-column section, it will work if you
insert it in a single-column section *following* the multi-column section.
I'll grant you this is not a very helpful workaround for pages with many
footnotes. The developers are focusing on long-document issues for the next
version of Word; I'll be sure they are aware of this one.

"HansJ" wrote in message
By the way: Your method does not work in Word 2003. If there is one

section
with one column followed by one with two on the same page, trying to

insert a
footnote in the first section will produce a page break.

Is there any way to contact Microsoft to let them know that footnotes
spanning two columns would be a nice feature in future versions of Word?

Best wishes,
HansJ

Daiya Mitchell

Is there any way to contact Microsoft to let them know that footnotes
spanning two columns would be a nice feature in future versions of Word?

Yes. You can use this webpage:

HansJ

Thank you for the link, Daiya.
HansJ